SuperToolkit II: PARUSE(name) - is it a bug or feature?

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
ql_freak
Gold Card

SuperToolkit II: PARUSE(name) - is it a bug or feature?

Post by ql_freak »

It seems the PARUSE(name) function does never return 1 as stated in the manual:

Code: Select all

100 REMark Tests for PARUSE() FuNction from SuperToolkit II
140 :
180 PRINT '1: ';:PRINT testParuse(f,i,s)
220 PRINT '2: ';:PRINT testParuse()
260 PRINT '3: ';:PRINT testParuse(PI,1,'Hello')
300 PRINT '4: ';:PRINT testParuse(2.718282,1.414214,'')
340 f=PI:i%=8:s$='Hi!'
380 PRINT'5: ';:PRINT testParuse(f,i%,s$)
420 PRINT\'Did you expect this result?'
1000 :
1002 :
1040 DEFine FuNction testParuse(float,integer,string)
1080  :
1120  :
1160  PRINT PARTYP(float)!PARUSE(float)!float;' | ';
1200  PRINT PARTYP(integer)!PARUSE(integer)!integer;' | ';
1240  PRINT PARTYP(string)!PARUSE(string)!string;' | ';
1280  RETurn 0
1320  :
1360 END DEFine
Type NEW<ENTER> then LRUN the above program (on QPC2, but the result on Minerva is similar, albeit this program won't most probably run fully on Minerva).

Here the result is:

1: 2 0 0 | 2 0 0 | 2 0 0 | 0
2: 2 0 0 | 2 0 0 | 2 0 0 | 0
3: 2 2 3.141593 | 2 2 1 | 1 2 Hello | 0
4: 2 2 2.718282 | 2 2 1.414214 | 1 2  | 0
5: 2 2 3.141593 | 3 2 8 | 1 2 Hi! | 0
At least for '5:' the result should IMHO be:

5: 2 1 3.141593 | 3 1 8 | 1 1 Hi! | 0

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: SuperToolkit II: PARUSE(name) - is it a bug or feature?

Post by RWAP »

If you look at the best manual (SBASIC/SuperBASIC Reference Manual) you will see that this was an error in the Toolkit II manual from years ago -

https://superbasic-manual.readthedocs.i ... tml#paruse

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Good work, Rich. I always thought PARUSE was bugged, but now I see that the bug was in the documentation.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Thank You Rich. In fact I was on the Online SB Reference page and saw the hint for the error in the manual, but didn't check that the table there had the correct results. Only after your answer I did read the table again and checked it. PARUSE results are 0 (unset), 2 (variable) and 3 (array) and NOT (0, 1, 2 as in printed Toolkit-Manual or Goldcard manual).

BTW: These functions are mighty ones, as they allow at least a rudimentary "Reflection" as in more modern languages like Java, C# and Python.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

ql_freak wrote:Thank You Rich. In fact I was on the Online SB Reference page and saw the hint for the error in the manual, but didn't check that the table there had the correct results. Only after your answer I did read the table again and checked it. PARUSE results are 0 (unset), 2 (variable) and 3 (array) and NOT (0, 1, 2 as in printed Toolkit-Manual or Goldcard manual).

BTW: These functions are mighty ones, as they allow at least a rudimentary "Reflection" as in more modern languages like Java, C# and Python.
Warning:
Although the type of the formal vars should be ignored and the type of the calling parameters used, this is not always the case with PARTYPE.
I used "m$" as a formal parameter, knowing that if it was used it was always a string. But PARTYPE never returned zero/unset, always 1 for string. When I changed it to "mess" PARTYPE correctly returned 0/unset or 1/string if present.

BSJR

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

BSJR wrote: BTW: These functions are mighty ones, as they allow at least a rudimentary "Reflection" as in more modern languages like Java, C# and Python.
Warning:
Although the type of the formal vars should be ignored and the type of the calling parameters used, this is not always the case with PARTYPE.
I used "m$" as a formal parameter, knowing that if it was used it was always a string. But PARTYPE never returned zero/unset, always 1 for string. When I changed it to "mess" PARTYPE correctly returned 0/unset or 1/string if present.

BSJR[/quote]

Indeed - I believe that is also covered in the SBASIC/SuperBASIC Reference Manual - https://superbasic-manual.readthedocs.i ... tml#partyp