Hello? Anyone here?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Hello? Anyone here?

Post by NormanDunbar »

This must be the quietest weekend in here for a long time. No posts since Friday as far as I can see. Has the weather turned nice or something?

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Hello? Anyone here?

Post by Pr0f »

Stuck at work this weekend, and it has been oh so quiet...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello! :lol:

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

vanpeebles wrote:Hello! :lol:
Reporting from Patagonia.
Sunny and chilly days , 0 celsius and ice. It’s been 38 days since I ordered my scart cable and upscaler from the UK and the tetroid trump clone. (I’m beggining to think I should have asked for the gold card, but I wanted CF card adaptor). At least the first two items arrived at Customs in Chile two weeks ago but you never know how much time it takes for them to clear them. In comparison at the same time I ordered from amazon some ram memory for my 2000 intel motherboard and it only took 7 days to arrive, door to door.
Will report when my new ql configuration is set.

By the way, if anybody has spare time to answer I have two questions.
1) is it ok to stick to my jm rom or there is an important reason to upgrade to minerva?
2) is there a need to have customized boot files for the system or it depends of what task you are on at the moment? Are there examples of boot files?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

jivrt wrote:1) is it ok to stick to my jm rom or there is an important reason to upgrade to minerva?
JM is the first "stable" original QDOS but it does have some bugs and it is quite slow and inefficient. Minerva brings a majority of the improvements that are also in SMSQ - much lower bug count, extra features, and much MUCH improved screen handling (about 8x faster for some things). I personally would treat Minerva as a minimum OS for the QL.
jivrt wrote:2) is there a need to have customized boot files for the system or it depends of what task you are on at the moment? Are there examples of boot files?
You do what fits your needs. Your comfort on your won machine is up to you - only you can decide what is best for you. The limit is your coding ability.

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

Dave wrote:
jivrt wrote:1) is it ok to stick to my jm rom or there is an important reason to upgrade to minerva?
JM is the first "stable" original QDOS but it does have some bugs and it is quite slow and inefficient. Minerva brings a majority of the improvements that are also in SMSQ - much lower bug count, extra features, and much MUCH improved screen handling (about 8x faster for some things). I personally would treat Minerva as a minimum OS for the QL.
jivrt wrote:2) is there a need to have customized boot files for the system or it depends of what task you are on at the moment? Are there examples of boot files?
You do what fits your needs. Your comfort on your won machine is up to you - only you can decide what is best for you. The limit is your coding ability.
Thanks Dave!
Save me a minerva rom for me if you still have some. I would like one together with a buck regulatorImage

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

I was busy building this:
Gigatron
Gigatron
Gigatron
Gigatron
This was at an Acorn meet up.
There are full resolution 'photos (and the lower resolution 'photos) on my Flickr account here.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Looks fun! Although with a name like gigatron, it either needs more spinning tapes and flashing lights, or mounting inside a large robot to fight Godzilla! :lol:

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Loving the old 'bench ammeter' :-)