QDOS For Amiga

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QDOS For Amiga

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is a Vampire 2 for the Amiga A500, which plugs into the 68000 CPU socket, from what I can gather, this also works on the Atari STF(M). If this works with Atari software then the hardware QL emulator will also take advantage of the Vampire 2, and it runs SMSQ/E.

I will do some investigation and maybe save up for a A500 Vampire 2 costing 300 Euro. But has a Amiga Kickstart ROM included on the Vampire2 board.

Maybe get all my Atari computers out of storage, as I have most of the QL ST Emulators and some spare boards.

Maybe a better option than the Amiga A600, which uses the 68EC020 socket, a thought the SuperGold Card would connect tot he A600 Vampire 2, but that would mean fitting a CPU socket, too much work I fear.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Hi Derek,

before spending money, it would be better to let someone try "Amiga-QDOS" or "QDOS Classic" - which is normal Amiga Software - on that card.

If that works, and important QL programs run, there is some safety the CPU can execute QL code. I'm careful about that, because executing Atari/Amiga code also worked on other FPGA CPU cores I tried, but failed with QL code. Debugging that can cost years, as we saw with the Q68.

Peter

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

I already have an Amiga A600 with Vampire 2.

I will look at the QL emulatorover the weekend.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Just to point out the apollo wiki has a list of instructions not implemented TAS being one of them as its never used on Amiga!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is some software in the QDOS Classic Amiga zip file that can remove TAS commands and replace them with Amiga comnands, written by Mark Swift.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Did anyone try QDOS For Amiga on one of the Vampire accelerators?

The Amiga userbase is still quite large and active and surely there might be some merit in working together on projects. I was recently watching the startup of QDOS for Amiga and noticed it could (for example), benefit from the new QubATA drivers

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I did. (Rather, I tried "QDOS Classic for Amiga", which is the same, but newer thing)

And, yes: It works. And fast (If working on a white keyboard instead of a black one is not too disturbing to your mind). "Feels" close to QPC on a fast PC. Still need to get some benchmarks going.

The main issue I have with at the moment is that there is neither access to Amiga file systems on Amiga nor did I get (easy) access to a QubIDE partition on my A600's hard drive (not exhausted all the possibilities yet, will keep on trying). That leaves me with a system that has 135MB of main memory (initial QDOS memory test & hardware detection takes >30s) to be filled from a 720k disk atm, which can be a bit cumbersome. I will need to either get QubIDE going (which seems to come patched to support the Amiga 3000 and 4000 hard disk controllers, but not for 600 and 1200, the QubIDE ROM comes up, but reports no drives found on the A600) or patch a QL-SD device driver (most probably the Q68 one) to attach to the Vampire's MicroSD card, as the interface is pretty close.

So, at the moment I am a bit struggling with floppy disks in my environment, that I normally use only sparingly (most of my QL stuff has long moved to SD and CF card storage).

Some first tries show that anything that is not really 32-bit-clean will simply crash (no wonders). This seems ho hit specifically SuperCharged and early Turbo(?) programs. But a lot of programs I have tried work just fine, even some close to the system like QMon and C1 Monitor. But, given limited time, I am only just beginning to test stuff. Some of the crashes I have seen might even simply be caused by my badly suited disk system where I used HD drivies initially - The DD drive I have dug out from the attic seems to work much better.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

On MiST and other FPGA Amiga clones, QDOS Classic does not work.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

dex wrote:On MiST and other FPGA Amiga clones, QDOS Classic does not work.
What happens, complete crash? Did you try the latest FPGA versions?

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Peter wrote:
dex wrote:On MiST and other FPGA Amiga clones, QDOS Classic does not work.
What happens, complete crash? Did you try the latest FPGA versions?
Just freezed after start.
But it is some years ago. Maybe new FPGA updates solved the problem.