The Future of the QL Wiki

A place to discuss general QL issues.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: The Future of the QL Wiki

Post by NormanDunbar »

As Rich pointed out, there are some limitations to free hosting. Today, with all the image and page uploads with the new image links,it seems I've broken the daily allowance. Oops! I'm being punished by having the wiki be suspended for 24 hours, so if you try to access it, you won't get anything but a Byethost advertising page.

Just so you know.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Norm

I've had a good browse through the re-hosted wiki. Didn;t need to log-in - is that expected (just for browsing?)

A really fascinating distraction for a few hours :-)

Happy to provide more thorough feedback (most notably, many image links broken - just return 'Not Found') - but I know it's still a work in progress.

Just let us know when you're ready for more feedback.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Evening All,

the Wiki is back online again and I've uploaded the 10 missing images. I've checked each of the affected pages and all is well, or appears to be anyway. I've had to do a little adjustment on some of the images as they were a tad large when displayed at full size. Should be ok now.

Pages affected were
  • Psion Chess
  • QL Cash Trader
  • QL Cavern
  • QL Gardener
  • QL Integrated Accounts
  • QL Monitor
  • QL Technical Guide
  • QL Toolkit
  • QL Touch 'n' Go
Martyn, thanks for the feedback. What pages have broken links please? Can you give some examples of broken image links, as I'm not sure I actually use them. Images, when clicked should just show the full sized image itself. <insert delay ....>

Ok, don't bother, I see the problem. It looks like my recent updates have been rejected - possible because I used up the daily allowance. I'll fix it. At least that explains things the links are purely to show a missing image - normally there would be an image there.

And yes, the Wiki is free to browse but you need to be registered to add content. At the moment, there's a limited number of people with access - we are not in our final home yet, and we are still building. As you say, it's a WIP - and mostly done while I'm supposed to be having lunch at work!

Cheers,
Norm.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

So it's not just me then :-)

Good luck - its a great resource, thank you!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

It is indeed a great resource, but most of the hard work was done by Rich, not me. I just stuck my nose in, again, and converted it. I claim very little credit - although I have authored a couple of the original pages.

Cheers,
Norm.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Thank you BOTH :-)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

A quickie at coffee time today - it's very quiet in the office (apart from that, I'm winding down here, I've done my handover, all documentation is up to date etc - next Friday is my last day here)

I've hopefully located and uploaded all the pages where there were images missing. These appear to be mainly the history page, and anything with hardware or book pictures. I'm just running a check for orphan or wanted pages - these being pages with nothing linking to them (orphans) or pages with links to them, but the page doesn't yet exist (Wanted). These are pretty much as per the original Wiki though - there were plenty of missing pages there too.

Anyway, Martyn, assuming I haven't blown out the daily traffic allowance again, feel free to do some more browsing! ;)

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. I've trained my spell chequer to stop correcting your name to "Martyr". :D

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

I'll dive-in again later today and report back, but it's looking better already.

For reference for everyone else (its way down this thread), the current URL is:

http://qlwiki.byethost7.com/doku/doku.p ... e_computer

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Actually, it seems that I've buggered it up again! The wiki is suspended for 24hours again, because I uploaded a few pages and some images. Sigh.

We need to get a proper home for the Wiki soon I think. Even as a temporary home, byethost.com is getting to be a right royal pain in the arse!

Cheers,
Norm.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The timing is bad because I need to go on a trip, but when I return I can set up a dedicated server just for QL hosting. It will be on a fixed IP with unlimited bandwidth, and I can point wiki.sinclairql.com to it. When that's done it should be a simple matter to port things over. Or Graeme (XorA) could host it and I just point the URL there?