Dots in filenames?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
XorA
Site Admin

Dots in filenames?

Post by XorA »

Whats the deal with these on QDOS, I remember seeing the reason they are not allowed once upon a time. But can't remember it!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Dots in filenames?

Post by vanpeebles »

I think you need to use " " around a filename with a . in it, on a BBQL, and sometimes then I found it a bit fussy. I always avoid them and change it to _ first when using zips etc.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

QL S*Basic accepts two different variable types for filenames - Strings and Names

A string is typically either a variable of type string (marked by the "$" sign) or a string constant enclosed in single or double quotes. Once you put the string in quotes, S*Basic will accept basically any character in the file name, dots included.

To simplify file name input, S*Basic accepts names as well - Those need to follow the naming conventions (same as variable names) of S*Basic and may thus not contain dots and certain other special characters. Such names are also entered into the S*Basic name table and keep their case while the QL runs.

So, if you got a filename that includes special characters other than letters, numbers and underscore characters like dots, question or exclamation marks and the like, simply enclose it in quotes.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Thanks Tobias

That refreshes the old braincells nicely!

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

With SBASIC on SMSQ/E (e.g. with QPC2 emualator) you can now use the fullstop ('.') in SuperBASIC names, and so you also can enter pathnames with fullstop without need for quotes. Albeit I recommend always to use quotes in SuperBASIC, as else every time you use a name, a name table entry is created for each unquoted filename.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)