Contact for Computer One FORTH

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: Contact for Computer One FORTH

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Outsoft wrote:
georgeo wrote:Hi Simon,

Have you had a chance to scan the Computer One FORTH manual? If you're busy, I am happy to scan it on your behalf.

Thanks again,
George.
Sorry dear: too many stuff to dump + more job.

I will try to do it during Christmas, before It will be very hard.

Thanks for the patience.
Hi Simone,

Send me the manual and I will scan and OCR it.
Well I will do the scan as soon as possible.

Need to re-order all my manuals because I recently moved all my QL stuff because...need space for MD's ;)

QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

Just a short note that there's a complete package (Box, Microdrive Cartridge and User Guide) on ebay right now from a seller in the UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forth-For-the ... 2318076745

The whole package looks pristine, so a good scan of the User Guide would be a great addition to the preserved stuff.

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Good find. I'm happy to put in a modest bid for this, though there may be a risk that people on this forum start bidding against each other. Is there anyone that is particularly keen to get the original Microdrive, manual and packaging? If so, I don't want to bid against them, as I'm just interested in a scan of the manual.

The seller suggests they also have lots of other QL stuff up for grabs.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

georgeo wrote:Good find. I'm happy to put in a modest bid for this, though there may be a risk that people on this forum start bidding against each other. Is there anyone that is particularly keen to get the original Microdrive, manual and packaging? If so, I don't want to bid against them, as I'm just interested in a scan of the manual.

The seller suggests they also have lots of other QL stuff up for grabs.
Hi Georgeio,

Since the seller lives in the UK, do you me to bid on it, saving International shipping.

Regards,

Derek
georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi Derek,

My concern is that two of us might think this was a good opportunity to get a copy of the manual for scanning/ OCR and then start bidding against each other.

I'm interested in the manual for two reasons: (i) as the current scan is poor, and some elements of the program are difficult to use based on that (e.g. it took me a few attempts to write FORTH source to file); and (ii) I'm trying to find out who owns the rights to the program (page is missing from the scan we have), to see if they'd permit the code to be distributed for free/ small charge.

Regarding the latter, I've found the author of C1 FORTH and the owner of the rights to the Sage II original from which it was ported. However, I don't know if Compute One acquired full rights for the code of the QL port.

Does that make sense?
George.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi George,

Do you think you could get hold of the source code from SAGE, maybe we could re-do the port that Computer One performed.

With regards to the ebay auction, I will not bid on it.

Regards,

Derek
georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

I contacted Steve Pelc (of MPE Limited) who told me he had some incomplete paper listings of the source code. However, the source code rights remain with Laboratory Microsystems Limited, owned by Ray Duncan, who developed the Sage II version, so we'd need permission to create a new port―even if we managed to get a reasonably complete source.

MPE limited made the QL version. However it isn't clear whether MPE own the rights, Computer One own the rights, or bit of both. C1 went into receivership and I've not managed to track down what happened to their assets after that, nor contact information for the C1 director, Paul Ives.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

QLvsJAGUAR wrote:Just a short note that there's a complete package (Box, Microdrive Cartridge and User Guide) on ebay right now from a seller in the UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forth-For-the ... 2318076745

The whole package looks pristine, so a good scan of the User Guide would be a great addition to the preserved stuff.
Just bidding on it.

I've the manual, the MD preserved but not the box ;)

georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Outsoft wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
Outsoft wrote:
Sorry dear: too many stuff to dump + more job.

I will try to do it during Christmas, before It will be very hard.

Thanks for the patience.
Hi Simone,

Need to re-order all my manuals because I recently moved all my QL stuff because...need space for MD's ;)
Hi Simon,

Happy New Year. Did you manage to find any time at Christmas to scan the manual? My Plan B is to re-type the manual based on the poor scan that I have, though I suspect this will be painful and error-prone.

Thanks again,
George.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

georgeo wrote:
Outsoft wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
Hi Simone,

Hi Simon,

Happy New Year. Did you manage to find any time at Christmas to scan the manual? My Plan B is to re-type the manual based on the poor scan that I have, though I suspect this will be painful and error-prone.

Thanks again,
George.
Sorry dear but no time at all.

I urgently need some medic check for my 2 cats and for me too and so...no way.

I will do it as soon as I can.

Best regards and have a happy 2017.