QLers with Retro Motor cars

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QLers with Retro Motor cars

Post by Pr0f »

My Gen 2 RX7 convertible is in several pieces in the garage, loft and some bits in the house. The old shell had rusted through, so I found another carcass in good shape and made the decision to take every bit off her and refurbish - it's a daunting project and it ebbs and flows - life gets in the way so much.

I am working on building a custom ECU based around propeller 2 chip for the old girl when she is reborn.

Will post a piccy later when I am on the other laptop

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Pr0f wrote:My Gen 2 RX7 convertible is in several pieces in the garage, loft and some bits in the house. The old shell had rusted through, so I found another carcass in good shape and made the decision to take every bit off her and refurbish - it's a daunting project and it ebbs and flows - life gets in the way so much.

I am working on building a custom ECU based around propeller 2 chip for the old girl when she is reborn.

Will post a piccy later when I am on the other laptop
Ryosuke Takahashi!! Alhough his is the tintop.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

the old girl was a lovely drive - was running close to 300BHP at the wheels, but the front bearing sleeve spun blocking the oil way there, and the engine ate itself at the front rotor, a sad day.

Lesson learned though - when doing an engine rebuilt - replace EVERYTHING tha is involved in rotation! Amazingly all the apex seals survived the failure. It was always quite amusing to drive up to one of the local boat suppliers to get my high permormance marine 2 stroke to put in the seperate oil feed for the oil injectors (provides clean oil to them rather than recirculate engine oil), the engine was very clean with very little carbon build up using this method of lubrication, the only downside was a waxy soot deposit around the exhausts on the back bumper

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I bet it sounded lovely too! 8-)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

vanpeebles wrote:I bet it sounded lovely too! 8-)
It sounded best with the racing beat exhaust - when the back boxes failed at a weld, to get it through an MOT I put a single exit 'drain pipe' with a strange bung thing that could be easily remove - with that on it sounded like an angry draggon, but this exaust killed low down torque at the expense of freeing up the turbo at higher rev levels, giving crazy mid to top end. But not really legal on UK roads and dificult to even cruize past a horse! ;-)

I have reworked the exhaust for when it goes back together - using the same 3" down pipe, and existing mid box, but now the Y splitter goes from 3" to 2.5" x 2, and between these ends and the backboxes, a motorised side vent will be used to allow the back boxes to be kept in circuit or the exhaust to exit straight to ground - the ECU will control the motor via a small table, so that at low rev's the back boxes are always used, and at higher rev's you have the option of direct venting to provide more power at the top end - usable on the drag strip but not for noise controlled racing courses - this also means I have basically replaced all the non stainless pieces of the exhaust system with free flowing larger bore stainless.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

love the modified mini !!

the problem is that i can not weld ……………

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

techy wrote:love the modified mini !!

the problem is that i can not weld ……………
That's what I thought too - but after picking up a cheap gas-less welder that can also use gas bottles, I played about with a couple of pieces of scrap and - low and behold it's not dissimilar to soldering on a larger scale!

Cleaning the pieces before hand is essential, and clearing away anything that is likely to melt or burn if left in too lose contact (so if doing floors in the car, carpet and sound proofing stuff has to come out or be moved clear!)

Then it's about keeping the welding gun steady when moving so that you create a flowing weld - seemed to work for me - you start to get a feel for it has really gone into the join or just sitting on the surface and not providing a good joint.

I haven't tried much with aluminium yet - this is a lot softer and far easier to 'punch' through!

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

like screaming rotaries toooooooo

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

vanpeebles wrote:
Chr$ wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:
The mini is my project during the lock down, trying to get stuff bolted back onto it, after years of being in bits.

If you hurry up, you can still catch up with Project Binky

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

or good 'oll DORIS , and the Pie-Van