Covid19

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Covid19

Post by mk79 »

NormanDunbar wrote:The selfishness of the British Public amazes, and depresses me. :cry: :cry: :cry:
As somebody recently wrote, thanks to the UK for acting as the control group to see how bad things can get when you don't act.

ajb
ROM Dongle

Post by ajb »

dilwyn wrote:
Well, put it the other way, under 60% is not much good. Wonder if the alcohol can be absorbed through the skin to make it dual purpose ;).
Ah, that's the Danish urban myth that if you soak your feet in alcohol you can get drunk. They tested that using vodka and found that no alcohol could be detected in the blood as a result. They didn't say whether the vodka was fit to drink afterwards, even though it was probably pretty sterile. Given that it's the 42nd anniversary of the first broadcast of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy it reminds me of the "Unpleasantly like being drunk" exchange.

Alan

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Just a heads up to remind everyone about the QL Forum Chat on irc. It's usually manned from 7pm onwards most nights. With corona etc etc. It's something that people could use during the day too, if they are locked down etc. Somewhere for a chinwag. Once my work shuts, I'll be on during the day where possible, I think that others will be too.

It's possible that different people do use it at different times, and I've never seen them :D

dden
ROM Dongle

Post by dden »

Thank you for that vanpeebles. It is a good idea during this situation to encourage us to keep in touch. I'm looking forward to trying out the chat program to get back to pestering you again sometime.

We had a bit of a scare recently, thinking we'd been in touch with someone who was displaying symptons. Since we're both in the at-risk age category, it was quite a worry. We self-isolated for a few days. Later, it turned out the individual concerned had nothing more than a common cold. But it made us more aware and we will distance ourselves and follow Government guidelines. The old campervan can do the same thing for now!

So, I'm shut away in the house, neighbours leaving shopping for us, what do I do now?

Where's my QL? ;)

David
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

You have been missed on the chat, although your 1% beer is now a forum chat meme :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dden wrote:Thank you for that vanpeebles. It is a good idea during this situation to encourage us to keep in touch. I'm looking forward to trying out the chat program to get back to pestering you again sometime.
We had a bit of a scare recently, thinking we'd been in touch with someone who was displaying symptons. Since we're both in the at-risk age category, it was quite a worry. We self-isolated for a few days. Later, it turned out the individual concerned had nothing more than a common cold. But it made us more aware and we will distance ourselves and follow Government guidelines. The old campervan can do the same thing for now!
Hi dden, glad you're OK. Hope I haven't started a panic thing with this thread!
Personally, I got to the surgery for a routine appointment this morning to find the doors locked and all communication with receptionist via exterior intercom only. Turned out my routine appointment had been cancelled without telling me and while trying to sort it out, a fairly long queue of impatient patients built up, with one man trying to jump the queue as he was late for his appointment. Tempers were starting to get frayed, so I decided to abandon things.
Gave up on that (it was a routine scheduled appointment anyway, not urgent), and went to collect a repeat prescription I'd ordered a week ago from the local supermarket pharmacy. Turns out, people are panic-hoarding prescription meds too and there's a 7 to 10 day wait on prescriptions - mine had literally just been done so I was lucky.
dden wrote:So, I'm shut away in the house, neighbours leaving shopping for us, what do I do now?
Where's my QL? ;)
Yes, stay in with your QL (what do you mean you can't find it????)
I'm so looking forward to all the nice new QL software which should arrive during all this self-isolation...
Hope your neighbours are supplying you with plenty of 1% beer! :twisted:

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I will be spending a bit more time on a couple of hardware projects with all this isolation going on.

A keyboard adaptor for PS/2 to work with existing IPC - using a single pic micro and a handful of resistors, and build someone elses ps/2 mouse to quadrature signals board - again using a single PIC

Then a 4 port serial card for the QL - which will also become part of my DIY project internally

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I'm working from home for the rest of this week at least. I had to go in to the office today as my laptop password expires today and it must be on the main network to change it.

Take care everyone.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

Hi all,
Here in France we were insulated very fast without notice, and thus blocked in my ski resort, I may not go back to my home in Paris soon.

Unluck :
The weather is very nice, we still have a lot of snow, but I cannot go skiing (am not even allowed to)

Luck :
One of my QLs is here with me, and I have a lot of projects for my Tetroid card and CF chips (and also some of my analog camera - with film and products to process them). And with TV, internet, books, phone to reach my wife and my girl, I will surely not depress.

Beside playing with QLE on CF, I had the idea to code (with tha data available) a simulation of the epidemy in France to extrapolate what may happen next, and - why not - try to do it on the QL - maybe with Abacus ?

So I looked for the manual for Abacus on internet (because I did not bring the QL binder with me), and could find it only with the Xchange archives. So, for a try, I also installed Xchange3.90L (I never did before), and I have to say, I like it very much especially because it had immediadely the right size for my TV (484x256a14x0).

May the FORTH still be with all of us !

POLKa

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Third day without toilet paper in the supermarket. People should buy soap instead of toilet paper, you get infected in your hands.....

4E75 7000