Dead Z88 - can it be resurrected?

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Dead Z88 - can it be resurrected?

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi,

Last week I extracted my Z88, literally from the back of a cupboard in the attic - when I placed some new batteries in the back it immediately emmited a high pitched whine, and the screen would not switch on when pressing the two shift keys. I no longer appear to have the power adapter, so cannot test with that.

Anyone know the likely cause of this and whether there is an easy remedy? Unlike most of the people on these forums, I have no electronics experience whatsoever, so I don't think that opening it up and soldering new chips in is within my capabilities.

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if I suspect it's likely to be "it's had it, let it go, let it go!" :D

If it is indeed salvageable, does anyone know whether the OZ4 + Flash storage cards are still available? I can't figure out whether the Rakewell site is active or not.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Dead Z88 - can it be resurrected?

Post by Pr0f »

couple of things to check :

Take the batteries back out

If there are any cards inserted into slots 1, 2 or 3 at the front, lift the flap and remove them

Make sure you shut the card door backup up firmly (there is a small switch on the right hand side that needs to be engaged).

Then pop your batteries back in and see if it powers up - if you get the same whistle noise- try the reset button on the left hand side - you'll need a biro or something as it's indented. If that doesn't work, it's possible you have some corrosion on the pcb from a leaking battery or similar...

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Many thanks for the quick reply - I'll try that this evening.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

The Oz carts are on sellmyretro if I remember right :)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

There's actually not that much in there that can be broken - a RAM chip, a ROM chip, a CPU and the Gate array - the rest is display circuitry. Follow Pr0f's advice, that's good, especially the Reset button on the left.

Rakewell should still be active and memory cards be available, just send an email to Vic Gerhardi - He usually answers within a day or two.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks all!

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

If I recall - there is a 512K flash and 512K ram card for slot 0 that contains OZ 4.7 - the latest OS release for the Z88 - and highly recommended.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Pr0f wrote:If I recall - there is a 512K flash and 512K ram card for slot 1 that contains OZ 4.7 - the latest OS release for the Z88 - and highly recommended.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

oh bugger - meant to edit the first post to say slot 1 - slot 0 is the 'internal' slot for the z88 (the chips on the motherboard)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The whine is generally that the Z88 needs a hard reset - open the cart slot cover and press the reset button on the left hand side.

Then close the slot cover and the screen should start up ....