Hello - New QL owner in need of some advice

Introduce yourself here!
Rich G
ROM Dongle

Hello - New QL owner in need of some advice

Post by Rich G »

Hello all. Nice to be here.

I've been collecting 80's machines for the last 8-9 months or so and finally bagged a QL.

I guess this particular QL could be described as new condition - it's obviously spent all of it's life it's box.
The box is as near mint as you could imagine and all contents are complete - the PSU hasn't ever had a mains plug attached.
Even the warranty card and welcome letter are fresh and unwrinkled. A smell of new electronics hits you as you open the pristine white polys... you get the idea.

Now, I'm more of an enthusiast than a collector who buys items only to store them away forever and a day as an investment. So should I keep it wrapped up as a potential museum piece or should I get a plug on it and start enjoying it?
Serial number starts D13 - so not a super early version.
(think I've already made my mind up now I've typed this :) )

How rare are QLs in this condition?

Anyhow - all that aside, I'm really happy to own one of these machines.

Richard.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Hello - New QL owner in need of some advice

Post by dilwyn »

Welcome along, Rich. Hope you don't just pack it away, QLs are there to be used and enjoyed.

Your namesake at RWAP Services has plenty of software and second user add-ons, and you can obviously get some from eBay and SellMyRetro.com too.

If this unit is in pristine condition, it would be nice to get the original letters/cards supplied with it scanned for posterity if you get a chance. I do have some of them, but many are not in good condition.

We're a friendly bunch around here so if you need help with anything, just ask!

I'd suggest trying to get hold of a memory expansion and floppy disk interface to start with. If you're hoping to do some SuperBASIC programming, try to get hold of a copy of something called Toolkit 2 which enhances the BASIC and operating system a little. Toolkit 2 also comes bundled on some floppy disc interfaces - some have full versions, some have a subset of the facilities.

Rich G
ROM Dongle

Post by Rich G »

Thank you for the reply Dilwyn,

I'll scan and photograph the contents of the box and then get on with using it.
If I don't do that then I can't contribute here and that seems pointless.

I'm keen to find the black CUB monitor that was shown in the original gate-fold pamphlet for the QL.
Black version on a swivel stand?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and welcome. Exciting to see more new users on the forum :D If it's really nice I'd be tempted to get another one for a work horse and keep that as a special one but as Dilwyn said they are made to be enjoyed.

I'm not sure about the swivel monitor but there is a QL vision monitor on ebay at the moment. One of the early monitors was odd as it didn't support the monitor mode properly. A scan of the pamphlet would be nice :)

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome Richard!

:D :D :D

You could always get another QL ;)

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Hi Rich and welcome to the forums.

I see you must be the one who recently bought that QL from another one of my customers - he is unfortunately having to sell up his collection - some nice pieces in it too!

Actually, I think that this QL may well have come from me in the first place :D

A CUB has to be my monitor of choice - the ones with swivel stands are quite rare - although I have seen a couple of people using them at Quanta shows. The main problem with monitors is that they just do not tend to survive being sent by courier, which is a real shame.

If we can do anything to help you get started on your QL, please give feel free to ask!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:Hello and welcome. Exciting to see more new users on the forum :D If it's really nice I'd be tempted to get another one for a work horse and keep that as a special one but as Dilwyn said they are made to be enjoyed.

I'm not sure about the swivel monitor but there is a QL vision monitor on ebay at the moment. One of the early monitors was odd as it didn't support the monitor mode properly. A scan of the pamphlet would be nice :)
To help you identify them, here's a couple of pictures on Rich (Mellor)'s QL Wiki.

This is the Microvitec CUB Monitor:
http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... or&lang=en

and this is the Sinclair Vision-QL monitor:
http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... QL&lang=en

The QL video feed seemed to 'overscan' on some monitors which were not made specifically for the QL. Most monitors handled 80 characters per line OK in those days, but the QL had to go one better and do 85 characters per line :D

The Vision-QL is a squarer-looking model, whereas the Microvitec Cub 1451/DQ3 (as it was memorably called) had slightly rounder features. Later models of the Microvitec came with that tilt and swivel stand.

It can be difficult to connect a QL with a TTL RGB signal to an analogue VGA monitor, but Mr Navigator on this forum got JS-Technology to do an article on their Simple Video Scalar unit which is indeed able to do this - they even concluded their article with "to improve the compatibility with the overscan mode as used by the Sinclair QL we can offer the converters with a specific tweak pre-programmed to the converter too." They say it works with both PAL and NTSC video sources. Looks like you need a QL video to SCART lead to connect to the box, and it has a VGA video connector output. I notice from their website the Simple Video Scalar is available at the moment ready built on offer at 59 pounds from JS-Technology http://www.js-technology.com/store/cate ... category=5 at the moment, their telephone number is 01294 471468. The article was in Quanta mag June/July 2011 (Volume 28 Issue 4).

Rich G
ROM Dongle

Post by Rich G »

RWAP wrote:Hi Rich and welcome to the forums.

I see you must be the one who recently bought that QL from another one of my customers - he is unfortunately having to sell up his collection - some nice pieces in it too!

Actually, I think that this QL may well have come from me in the first place :D

A CUB has to be my monitor of choice - the ones with swivel stands are quite rare - although I have seen a couple of people using them at Quanta shows. The main problem with monitors is that they just do not tend to survive being sent by courier, which is a real shame.

If we can do anything to help you get started on your QL, please give feel free to ask!
Thanks RWAP - yes he mentioned you when I picked it up. Really nice guy who obviously had a long history with Sinclair. Nice to know it's provenance.

Had a rethink... it's in too nice a condition to actually use so I'm going to bundle it away somewhere nice and safe. And yes I bought another machine today. Also in very good nick but has at least seen a little bit of use so I won't feel so bad (...yes I know... :oops:)

@dilwyn - yes it was the 1451/DQ3 that I was thinking of. Always thought it really suited the design of the QL. Thanks for that information - I'll investigate.

Unfortunately I don't have the pamphlet - I just remember it came inside a copy of a computing magazine back in the day and made me lust after a QL for a bit. I ended up buying an Atari ST instead. Meh.

Lots to learn.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll no doubt be straight back in touch when I have my 'work' machine unpacked.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Hehe QL'ling gets to be addictive. I've ended up with a load of them all in various states of tunes :) I've spent the day clearing off my desk and setting my QL back up properly all set for winter.

Rich G
ROM Dongle

Post by Rich G »

Rite-o... another QL has just taken up residency in my humble retirement home for 80s computers.

Looks in superb condition but obviously has been out of the box and used a few times at least.

Came with all the usual software plus QL-Meteor Storm and Sellasoft Tank Busters.
Tank Busters is a real blast from the past - not a very good version of Battlezone but casts you as a tank driver in the Falklands war serving under the Liverpudlian commander 'Gizzajob'. :D

The Meteor Storm drive just trundles around and eventually the machine gives a sort of belch then resets.
That'll be my first bad MD then I guess.

The 'Games Pack' - what were they thinking? I know the QL wasn't devised as a gaming platform but these are truly awful. 'Gun' crashed after a few minutes and forced me to hard reset - which was a bit of a welcome relief as it goes. Sinclair were obviously making their intentions very clear with that little lot.

Got a 25-way and 9-way D-type adapters too which didn't come in the original packaging?

Good stuff.