Hello from the Netherlands

Introduce yourself here!
gertk
Hardware Hero

Hello from the Netherlands

Post by gertk »

Hi,

My name is Gert and I am an electronics and (retro)computer enthousiast.
I have a small collection of rare computers and try to breathe life into any old computer I can lay my hands on :)

Some idea of the systems I have:

Sinclair ZX80, ZX81 (my first computer), Spectrum, Spectrum+128K, QL (since last Saturday), Commodore VIC20 (my second computer), C64, C128, COMX35, Oric1, Philips VG5000, Philips P2000, Philips MSX2, Philips Videopac G7000/7200/7400, Odyssey2, some Pong variants etc.

My job is in electronics repair and some electronics design and consumer electronics sales. In my spare time I like to tinker with electronics, microcontrollers (8051/AVR but today mostly ARM stuff like NXP mbed and other LPC cpu's) and also some car electronics.

I always had a weak spot for all things Sinclair developed over the years and this year I even got myself a Sinclair C5 8-)

Last Saturday we had a small 'Sinclair takeover' at the 2 monthly retro club meeting of the Commodore GG in Maarssen (the Netherlands) and there was a Sinclair QL up for grabs which I could lay my hands on. It came with no power supply or leads and the keyboard membrane turned out to be broken. A friend of mine had a spare membrane so that was an easy fix.

Remembering how hot the QL always became after some hours (the QL was my fourth or fifth computer) and the absence of the original power supply, I replaced the linear 7805 by some more modern and efficient regulator (LM2575) and a relatively small external AC adapter. More modifications are coming up..

Plans are for an internal 512K ram extension by means of a single 512k SRAM in place of one of the internal ROMS (in another thread I already showed both roms replaced by a single 64k EPROM) and replacing the microdrive(s) by a SD card solution.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I own a C5 myself 8-)

Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

So do I.
I mean you welcome and I have a C5 that takes me to work every day (and a spare one).
Its nice see someone making stuff for the QL and publishing its sources :D
I am also a beginner to QL, but your questions about microdrives will definitely all be answered in the microdrive book you find on WoldOfSpectrum as it covers EVERY aspect of the microdrives in detail.
Kind regards
Paul

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Paul wrote:I am also a beginner to QL, but your questions about microdrives will definitely all be answered in the microdrive book you find on WorldOfSpectrum as it covers EVERY aspect of the microdrives in detail.
Kind regards
Paul
I have tried this site but the Documentation section http://www.worldofspectrum.org/documentation.html gives a "Proxy Authentication Required" error on anything I try to download (at work). Will try at home :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/