Hello form NE England

Introduce yourself here!
Vyper68
ROM Dongle

Hello form NE England

Post by Vyper68 »

Just a short post to say hello to everyone.

I have just picked up my first QL this week and it just arrived today, always been a big Sinclair fan and sadly could not afford one back when they were released as my father had already bought me a Spectrum the year before. So I took the opportunity when one became available recently.

(C)1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Hello form NE England

Post by Chr$ »

Welcome to the big learning curve!

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Welcome along Vyper68!
Don't be afraid to ask questions - we're pretty friendly here.
There are some Sinclair QL groups on Facebook as well, such as 'Sinclair QL For Everyone'.

Vyper68
ROM Dongle

Post by Vyper68 »

Thanks for the welcome :D

Just been having a little look around and seems like the membrane is failing, which given my experience with my Rubber Keys and Toastrack Speccys comes as no surprise. I was surprised to find and expansion board fitted though. It's a Kempston Disk I/F ( V 1.4 or V 1.14 ) so I need to dig out my Gotek. MDV1 seems to work OK but MDV2 is not doing as well.
My vDrive ZX has just arrived from NZ today and that has gone into my old Microdrive unit so maybe I will replace MDV 2 with a vDrive QL :D

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Hi,

I'm in Cambridge/Arlington. We used to have a user group for NE called NESQLUG (New England Sinclair QL User Group) in the early 90's (I used to be the newsletter editor for a few years back when we hard-copy mailed them out) but it's now long gone. We even ran an international event and had two of the Miracle Systems peeps come over for it (I think it was in Bedford and I remember both of them got off the plane and rode their folding bikes to the event). If you google it now there is a current NESQLUG but it is the New England SQL Server User Group (as in the SQL database :-/) so the name has been usurped although they kind of dropped the S as it should be NESQLSUG but I suppose that is harder to say and sounds kind of bad.

P.S. SellMyRetro has replacement membranes for pretty cheap.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Vyper68 wrote:Just a short post to say hello to everyone.

I have just picked up my first QL this week and it just arrived today, always been a big Sinclair fan and sadly could not afford one back when they were released as my father had already bought me a Spectrum the year before. So I took the opportunity when one became available recently.
I just realized your topic said NE England not New England and you meant North East England in the UK not New England in the US...oops. I was excited about having a fellow QL'er in the states near me so apologies for not more closely looking at your bio. We used to have a big group in the 90's but sadly I feel somewhat on my own :-/ Thankfully this forum is very friendly and helpful.

Vyper68
ROM Dongle

Post by Vyper68 »

bwinkel67 wrote:
Vyper68 wrote:Just a short post to say hello to everyone.

I just realized your topic said NE England not New England and you meant North East England in the UK not New England in the US...oops. I was excited about having a fellow QL'er in the states near me so apologies for not more closely looking at your bio. We used to have a big group in the 90's but sadly I feel somewhat on my own :-/ Thankfully this forum is very friendly and helpful.
Not to worry mate :D

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome Vyper! :D

Vyper68
ROM Dongle

Post by Vyper68 »

vanpeebles wrote:Welcome Vyper! :D
Hi there!

You're from the same neck of the woods as me it seems.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Yes, there is a handful of NNE (Not New England ;) ) QL users, a long time ago, before my QL time, there was even a QL show in the North East, and a QL User club!! :o