Ohai!

Introduce yourself here!
Brad
ROM Dongle

Ohai!

Post by Brad »

Brad from Cheltenham,

Been after a QL for a while. Just nabbed one, bare bones, no PSU even and no guarantee of even works :-)

vanpeebles says I just need a 5v power supply? Any pointer appreciated!

Cheers.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Ohai!

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome! A good search of fhe forum is needed, I’m sure someone tried something similar and broke a QL. You can trim down a 3 pin fan connector to fit the socket.

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

Yeah there’s loads of info on here. Sounds tricky but doable, long as I’m careful.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1231&start=10&hilit=replacement+psu

Might be handy, you can also try a wanted post in the wanted section for a proper PSU.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

You need a power supply that can provide 9v DC with at least 2A, and 12-15V AC (this voltage is rectified and regulated in the QL to provide +12V and -12V for the serial ports, video circuitry and bias for the Microdrives)

Fan connectors do seem to work after a fashion

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Pr0f wrote:You need a power supply that can provide 9v DC with at least 2A, and 12-15V AC (this voltage is rectified and regulated in the QL to provide +12V and -12V for the serial ports, video circuitry and bias for the Microdrives)
That tranlates to

You can get away with 5V only, if you can live without serial ports, no microdrives, and RGB-TTL as video output.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

tofro wrote:
Pr0f wrote:You need a power supply that can provide 9v DC with at least 2A, and 12-15V AC (this voltage is rectified and regulated in the QL to provide +12V and -12V for the serial ports, video circuitry and bias for the Microdrives)
That tranlates to

You can get away with 5V only, if you can live without serial ports, no microdrives, and RGB-TTL as video output.

Tobias
You can't pipe 5V into the rear power connector directly - you will need to modify the 3 pin regulator socket to do that. But yes, if you remove the 5v regualtor on it's heatsink, you can apply 5 volt power there and run the QL board.

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

Might go the 5v route just to see if it powers up, keyboard works etc. Long term I'd like to have everything working just because I don't like having half working equipment.
Sounds like a minor board mod to do this though, which I wanted to avoid. If I put 9v into it in the normal fashion, will I get the 5v to where it needs to be, and avoid having to mod the board?