Hello from Bristol

Introduce yourself here!
Colwob
ROM Dongle

Hello from Bristol

Post by Colwob »

Having recovered my old QL from the house loft a few months ago I've been having a great time seeing what it can do with a few modern extras. I added a Tetroid disk interface which I'm really pleased with - it makes all the difference that Vitaliy is producing quality hardware for us! I've also replaced an old floppy disk drive with a Gotek drive which makes it really easy to exchange files with the PC and play with all that software off Dilwyn's site. It's a very different world to when I was last using the QL over 30 years ago when all the software had to be bought!

I've now just realised how much helpful information is available on this forum and how many people still seem to enjoy tinkering with their QL. I guess I should re-join QUANTA too.

What I'd really like to do is to improve the graphics but the QL derivatives seem very hard to get hold of - please correct me if I'm wrong or if anyone is selling? I don't at the moment think the Gold Card / Super Gold Card route is right for me as I wouldn't want to lose the hard disk (or CF drive anyway) and most of the available storage alternatives are very slow, running at microdrive or floppy speeds. I'd really welcome any advice that anyone has.

Best wishes to the forum from Bristol, UK.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hello from Bristol

Post by vanpeebles »

A very warm welcome to the forum! :)

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and Welcome to the forum :D

Yes, lots of fun still to be had.

Mark

PS I have just arrived home after being in Bristol for most of the day...

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Colwob wrote:
What I'd really like to do is to improve the graphics but the QL derivatives seem very hard to get hold of - please correct me if I'm wrong or if anyone is selling? I don't at the moment think the Gold Card / Super Gold Card route is right for me as I wouldn't want to lose the hard disk (or CF drive anyway) and most of the available storage alternatives are very slow, running at microdrive or floppy speeds. I'd really welcome any advice that anyone has.
You could get a backplane and run your existing HDD/CF with an SGC/GC! But it certainly can start getting expensive! Apart from the old original solutions that are hard to find, I think that may be the only way to keep the HDD speed advantage. Others will no doubt tell me if I'm wrong.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I can't help but think of a Two Ronnies, Newsdesk joke. And tonight we talk to a man from Bristol with a pair of QL's and another man from Queue-Ell with a pair of *pause* never you mind!

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

vanpeebles wrote:I can't help but think of a Two Ronnies, Newsdesk joke. And tonight we talk to a man from Bristol with a pair of QL's and another man from Queue-Ell with a pair of *pause* never you mind!
And it’s good night from him... :lol:

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)