Seek to enable disk capability, esp dual floppy cable

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
aisling42
ROM Dongle

Seek to enable disk capability, esp dual floppy cable

Post by aisling42 »

I think all I need is a cable pre-made to operate a pair of dual floppies "as in the old days".

I have a pair of almost recent, still-in-the box 3.5s. Note: they are jumperless, unlike my first pair of 3.5 years ago (Roy [Wood], John I. and Don W. all tried to either repair the drives or determine the sort of cable needed for those drives). I have an original Black Box with an SGC and disk interfaces. (These 3.5s are from the former CompUSA). Jumperless drives apparently need a specially done cable.

If I can't get dual 3.5s going on the Black Box QL (my original QL heavily upgraded) I will then pursue something more modern, true. Or in addition maybe.

Let me know what you have or could create and likely fees.

Thanks,
Doug L. aisling42 SE USA

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Seek to enable disk capability, esp dual floppy cable

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The drive select pins will be hard wired and the drives will be assumed to be used on a PC. I think all you need is a standard floppy drive cable with twist in the cable between Drive 1 & 2.

I have a few of these, if you send your address in a Private Message I will send you one to try.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

The drive select pins will be hard wired and the drives will be assumed to be used on a PC. I think all you need is a standard floppy drive cable with twist in the cable between Drive 1 & 2.
I don't think it's a standard PC floppy cable. The cable you need will have a twist that reverses pins 10 and 12 between the two drives.

If you connect a single PC 1.44 drive to a QL controller with a straight cable (or a twisted one with it connected before the twist), it will work as flp2_ which should at least allow you to verify that the drive is working.

Cheers.

Phill.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Chances are if you open the drive you can locate where the drive select jumper "used" to be. You can then just move the 0Ohm resistor to the one you need.

G

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Which is what I said, I had made up many Floppy Drive cables to reverse the Drive Select Pins.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

XorA wrote:Chances are if you open the drive you can locate where the drive select jumper "used" to be. You can then just move the 0Ohm resistor to the one you need.

G
Yes, the newer drives use SMD zero ohm (links) so it can be a bit fiddly. Most drives only give you a choice of drive 1(2)(as shipped for PCs) or drive 0(1).

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Which is what I said, I had made up many Floppy Drive cables to reverse the Drive Select Pins.
Ahh but you also said "you need is a standard floppy drive cable with twist in the cable between Drive 1 & 2" which some might take to imply a standard PC drive cable, which won't work as it has too many pins swapped. You can of course take a standard PC cable and modify it.

Cheers.

Phill.