Wanted: Issue 7 QL PCB.

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Wanted: Issue 7 QL PCB.

Post by Dave »

I'm looking for a UK or EU spec Issue 7 QL board. It can be the bare board, no ICs but it does need to be functioning/working. Please make offer with shipping to Texas, 78664. Slow shipping is okay.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: Wanted: Issue 7 QL PCB.

Post by Outsoft »

Dave wrote:I'm looking for a UK or EU spec Issue 7 QL board. It can be the bare board, no ICs but it does need to be functioning/working. Please make offer with shipping to Texas, 78664. Slow shipping is okay.
I can offer one issue 7 QL for the 440 MD's to preserve? ;)

;))))

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The 400 odd mdvs are yours already. :D

I just need to get them boxed up for international shipping. That's more difficult than it sounds.

I need a UK Iss. 7 PCB for testing compatibility of expansions as all I have are Iss. 5 UK and Samsung US boards, and the Iss. 7 board is quite different. I'll happily pay for it and the shipping.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I still desperately need an issue 7 QL motherboard. It is vital for testing new QL products.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Dave wrote:I still desperately need an issue 7 QL motherboard. It is vital for testing new QL products.
I'm searching too Dave!!!

Hope to find it...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

We're still looking for an Issue 7 QL motherboard. We do have an offer, but it is a bit pricey for my blood. Once paying and shipping is taken into account, it will drain a fair bit from the development budget.

The board would be used for compatibility testing of designs of specific interest to the community. I don't want to go into details too much until they're finished, but with Nasta's design skills we're talking about extensive new features in a single card. Also, large memory expansions and faster CPUs.

It needs to be an issue 7 board for a few reasons: I have an issue 5 board, and every version of the custom logic ICs. I have three US QLs that have major ground/RF modifications and a timing modification for NTSC video output. They do not look or act like an EU/UK QL and treat expansions very favorably. They have different begaviors in different modes - they're just not suitable for compatibility testing hardware, alone or in combinations.

In the next few weeks I'll be releasing at much lower than retail prices:

Minerva carrier boards
Q-Buck, an advanced buck regulator to replace the 7805, runs MUCH cooler and is much more responsive. (S)GC compatible.
ATX control centre, a small ATX control and distribution board for converting all sorts of retro items to use an ATX PSU and case..
ATX backplane - just doing some work on active bus termination, and incorporates parts of the ATX control centre.

After that there will be two major new items.

One is a simple redesign of the original Issue 7 QL motherboard. The other is a multi-function IO card that combines a lot of things that are on separate cards these days. No more details at present. I think you'll like it when you see it and it may make you regret recent Trump or QubIDE purchases *grins*

If you think this is a worthy use of an Issue 7 motherboard, let me know. Maybe we can work something out with a trade for early access to prototype hardware? As you may know, I have had a few years of illness, including a heart attack in February. I'll be off work for the next several months and am not earning anything - America doesn't take good care of its weak or sick or huddled masses.

So, does anyone have an Issue 7 board me and Nasta can get access to?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have just come across another issue 7 motherboard - not sure if it works, but I am sure we can work something out - as you can always fix it if it is memory..

Do you just need the bare motherboard? £35 tested (if working) plus postage. £25 plus postage untested / not working

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I'll take it. If it works, great, if not, that's my second preference.

Do you have a spare Issue 5 there too? Mine's getting cranky (also memory) and though I would get it later, if it would save a bit to ship it at the same time, I'll do it.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Dave wrote:I'll take it. If it works, great, if not, that's my second preference.

Do you have a spare Issue 5 there too? Mine's getting cranky (also memory) and though I would get it later, if it would save a bit to ship it at the same time, I'll do it.
Out of the 3 issue 5 PCBs I have, one has a memory fault, one has been promised bagpuss (although I need to resolder the power connector!) and the other is untested (it is missing the 68008 socket).

I could include the one which is missing the 68008 socket for the extra postage.

On the positive side, the Issue 7 QL starts up :)
Last edited by RWAP on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Well, those sockets are crap and I usually replace them anyway, so yes! If you send me a paypal invoice to dave@sinclairql.com when you know the amount, I'll pay right away.

And you begin your search for an odd shaped box!