Elite Style Game?

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
robheaton
Site Admin

Elite Style Game?

Post by robheaton »

Has anyone seen a game similar to Elite available for the QL?
I keep getting my BBC B out to play Elite! Just wondered if I could get my fix elsewhere!!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: Elite Style Game?

Post by Sparrowhawk »

There was an Elite 3D demo (it's on one of the YouTube vids) but I don't think it was playable.

Other than that, the only one that springs to mind is Pyramide's 3D Wanderer that used red-blue glasses I think to give true 3D. Unlike Elite, I believe the plot to this one was cooked up whilst under the influence of some serious medicinal weeds! Something about flying about the galaxy, shooting enemies out of the sky whilst on your way from poker game to poker game, where the currency is cats. Or some such. :D

Unless of course I'm the one under the influence for imagining that!

No idea whether the title is still available - Rich would know best.

Regarding 3D games generally, there was:

- 3D chess by Psion of course
- 3D Othello/Reversi (I forget who by)
- 3D battle tanks (like the Atari) game, if memory serves me well (never a safe assumption).
- Diren's 3D Fleet tactical command, where you lead a fleet of ships against another armada. Massive game, used real maps etc, looked far too complex to me so I never bought it.
- probably some others I've forgotten, but not Elite

But, why switch from the Beeb's Elite in the first place? It's an absolute classic and nothing on the QL comes close - sorry to have to say that. Beeb games were generally speaking far better than the QL variants, with a few exceptions (Chess for example, the Pawn and Scrabble). :(

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I am talking with Pyramide about their games - QL Wanderer is one of them, and your synopsis is about right for the game!

As for the 3D Battle Tanks Game - surely you mean Tankbusters - http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... rs&lang=en

I never tried Fleet Tactical Command either - would love to get hold of a copy!

Don't forget 3D Slime - http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... me&lang=en
and BJ in 3D Land - http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... nd&lang=en (do these count)?

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

QL Wanderer sounds like it could be fun, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a copy!

Rich, if you do come across it, or gain the rights to it, please let me know!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Tankbusters - that's the one.

And of course on the 3D front I forgot the several flight sims, which I believe Rich sells now.

The only other 3D game I can think of is 3D Slime, a great little isometric jaunt where you play a little squishy thing being pursued by some rolling balls.

I have a copy on microdrive, but as I use emulation almost all the time now, I have not played it for a while - I never could get past level 3 anyway ;)

Rich - re Pyramide. Good news.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Well I have managed to get 3D slime to work on q-emulator, so it is available as an upgrade :-)