Gigasoft Titles

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Gigasoft Titles

Post by RWAP »

We have preserved and tested a few games from Gigasoft - Fight in the Dark and QBall, plus GigaBasic.

Does anyone know anything more about Gigasoft apart from the fact that they seem to have sold all their stuff to ABC Elektronik?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Gigasoft Titles

Post by tofro »

Rich,

did you mean to say "sold through" or really "sold to"? I think the first one applies.

A strong hint towards a name could be the book "Der Sinclair QL unter Kontrolle" (In german) that was written by a Mathias Laufer/GigaSoft and sold through ABC. It contained a (partially) commented JS (or JM?) ROM disassembly plus documented QL traps and a few hits to assembly programming. (I have it somewhere, well, maybe in that very same box.... ;) )

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Jochen Merz (who wrote some stuff for Gigasoft) said he thought that ABC Elektronik took over the stuff when Gigasoft stopped selling and it may well have actually then transferred to Jochen Merz Software, but he couldn't remember (!)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:We have preserved and tested a few games from Gigasoft - Fight in the Dark and QBall, plus GigaBasic.

Does anyone know anything more about Gigasoft apart from the fact that they seem to have sold all their stuff to ABC Elektronik?
Looking at reviews of Gigasoft titles in QL World December 1986 (Giga Basic and Giga Desk, Giga Chrome) it seems they were being sold by Freddy at Digital Precision in those days, although a news item a couple of months before that implied DP was selling on behalf of Andreas Budde of ABC Electronik, not Gigasoft (if ABC and Gigasoft were separate companies). ABC's adverts implied they had dealers in Austria, Belgium, France, USA, Italy and UK at the time.

I notice that the Fight game was credited to 'Graphsoft' in QL User Dec 85 page 12.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The title screen to Fight in The Dark refers to 'Kuhne' - presumably another Stefan Kuhne title, so I have emailed him - no reply yet.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

dilwyn wrote:
RWAP wrote:We have preserved and tested a few games from Gigasoft - Fight in the Dark and QBall, plus GigaBasic.

Looking at reviews of Gigasoft titles in QL World December 1986 (Giga Basic and Giga Desk, Giga Chrome) it seems they were being sold by Freddy at Digital Precision in those days, although a news item a couple of months before that implied DP was selling on behalf of Andreas Budde of ABC Electronik, not Gigasoft (if ABC and Gigasoft were separate companies). ABC's adverts implied they had dealers in Austria, Belgium, France, USA, Italy and UK at the time.

I notice that the Fight game was credited to 'Graphsoft' in QL User Dec 85 page 12.

Wow, very interesting.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

As far as I know, "GigaChrome" was written by Jochen Merz together with someone else. I also remember that QLW stated it as beeing "very slow".