are there music trackers for ql, and how sound works?

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
nitrofurano
Chuggy Microdrive

are there music trackers for ql, and how sound works?

Post by nitrofurano »

i'm curious about if there is some kind of music tracker for, or targeting ql - tools like beepola and etc.
and in this context, where can we find detailed information about how sound works on ql
(all about unexpanded ql, of course! ;) )

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: are there music trackers for ql, and how sound works?

Post by bwinkel67 »

nitrofurano wrote:i'm curious about if there is some kind of music tracker for, or targeting ql - tools like beepola and etc.
and in this context, where can we find detailed information about how sound works on ql
(all about unexpanded ql, of course! ;) )
Here is a PDF on a BASIC program on Dilwyn's site:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/sound/QBITS%20E ... Sounds.pdf

There's an associated program. I did a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBdqAv9oPmI

I posted version 5 on this forum, which is a compiled version:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3902&p=44108#p44108

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Bwinkel,

Thanks for the QBITS music tracker video. Very thorough and interesting. I would have liked to have seen this decades ago !

It does mention that the core routine uses PAUSEs, whereas the fastStaves program uses system-compatible wait loops, allowing much faster tempos.

The first version I posted can cater for staccato notes, (which I omitted from the second version to accelerate the innermost loop for 128ko).

FastStaves_bas replays even prestissimo samples with simultaneous real-time display of notes on screen. (Yet it is still only a prototype).

If there is suffficient interest, (downloads), I might do a graphical music input extension, to avoid having to write samples as DATA mnemonics lines.

I already prepared a version to play duo music over thirty years ago, rather than solo partitions, (but will have to bring that up to date).

The QL has great untapped music and sound potential, but very little has been mentioned on the subject in the past... but why ???

Best Regards, Steve.

spkr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by spkr »

I'm developing a QL music tracker. Currently it supports a tracker interface, 255 instrument settings, 255 definable patterns, pattern sequencing (limited) and save/load (rudimentary) capability.

It has not been made publicly available yet. I never really had this intention, but if there is an interest, I don't mind sharing.

I provided the binary and sourcecode to my fellows of Five Finger Punch at the last demoparty we met at ;)

Regards
Wietze

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

spkr wrote:I'm developing a QL music tracker. Currently it supports a tracker interface, 255 instrument settings, 255 definable patterns, pattern sequencing (limited) and save/load (rudimentary) capability.

It has not been made publicly available yet. I never really had this intention, but if there is an interest, I don't mind sharing.

I provided the binary and sourcecode to my fellows of Five Finger Punch at the last demoparty we met at ;)

Regards
Wietze
There is also source code and binaries to the old Miracle Midi Interace are on the Misc Programs page http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/misc/index.html. Afraid I don't know if it can run without the (now very rare) interface, if you just want to try it for comparison. It's the Tracker software by Dan Gaffey, v1.3

Stats on my website show it's been downloaded a few times, I guess that implies there is at least some interest.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

spkr wrote:I'm developing a QL music tracker. [...] but if there is an interest, I don't mind sharing.
:o Very interesting! Please keep us informed

ahw
ROM Dongle

Post by ahw »

spkr wrote: It has not been made publicly available yet. I never really had this intention, but if there is an interest, I don't mind sharing.
I would definitely be interested. I'm always up for more retro sounds to work with.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

I've looked at the tracker for the ZX81. It is capable, but not easy to learn and the docs are as thin as a super model. Would be interesting to see a tracker on the QL, either using BEEP or the Sampled Sound System (SSS).

Tim

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

What about using the AY-3-8910 or YM2149?

spkr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by spkr »

Hi there guys.

Attached you find my current version of QLTracker. YMMV.

You have to mash around some buttons to figure out how it works. It generally follows some conventions of trackers, like edit mode, patterns, etc. If I remember correctly F4 and F5 do save and load state (or around there). Cursor keys navigate through the current `selected' UI area. I believe tab and escape or something may activate other UI areas, I cant recalll. if you really care, you will figure it out; or after some trying ask me :)

Regards,
Wietze

<edit> I seem to have uploaded the wrong file; corrected now.
Attachments
qltrack.zip
(12.36 KiB) Downloaded 62 times