Launchpad

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Andrew
Aurora

Launchpad

Post by Andrew »

I started to move from QDOS to SMSQE3.38 so I created a new .WIN drive image that I'll be using both on on my BBQL (SGC, QL-SD, mouse) and on QPC.
Ideally the image should have some sort of GUI frontend and should work both on BBQL and on QPC
The only GUI that works on both without much hassle seems to be Launchpad, so I installed it and hit some snags, so I need your help:

1. Configure a desktop icon
The manual says:

Code: Select all

2.1.4.5 Option Command
Most program will not need this. Short strings may be passed to some programs as a 'command line option', usually stating some startup defaults or telling the program to load a particular file or use some given settings. Some of the programs in launchpad's accessories menu use a similar facility. The best way to explain this is with some examples using the EX command in BASIC. Some programs allow their default drives to be specified like this:

EX FLP1_MYPROG_EXE;'FLP1_'
A program called MYPROG_EXE is executed from FLP1_ and is told to use FLP1_ as its default drive. 

By leaving the filename box empty in the Item Definition Form, you can set up a "type in" command for SuperBASIC or SBASIC (or any named job). Enter the command into the Option Command box. To send the command to BASIC, leave the Job Name box empty.
If I configure the filename of an executable then it works (it launches it at DO)
But if I leave FIlename empty and I configure the Command then BASIC is started, but the command is not passed to Basic and is not executed.
How can I use the Command property in order to lrun a basic program or to start aprograms with parameters?
1.jpg
2. Change the icons
The manual says:

When you click on the Item Icon box in the form, a further screen comes up listing half of the available icons (to show the other half of the list click on the Page button at the top of the screen).
Which one is the Page button? I cannot find it!! (LATER EDIT: Found it! It was hidden under the clock!)
Is there a way to add icons to that list? or to change the icon with a different icon, one that is not shown on the icons page?
(I presume there is because on Dillwyn's page there are several zips with icons for Launchpad, but I cannot find how to use them)
3.jpg
3. Move/ Copy the icon to a different page
The manual says:

Do (right click) on the original icon, select the COPY command from the menu which appears and then move the icon to the location where you'd like the copy to be placed. If you want the copy to go on a different desktop menu, move the icon to one of the four menu selection commands at the top right and click on the one required, which will display that particular desktop. Move the icon over the location where the new copy of the icon is to be placed and Hit or Do on that location. The definition is copied there. 
Well, when you Hit or Do on that location you get the following error.
Is this a bug or am I doing somethin wrong?
4.jpg
4. Change the theme
Running on QPC v5.01 SMSQE 3.38 8,16 or 32 bit colors, when I change the theme the new colors are not applyed. The only result is this:
2.jpg
Is there a different way to change the theme/ colors?

5. Is there some other GUI frontend that works, without lots of configuring, both on BBQL and QPC2 colour modes?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Launchpad

Post by dilwyn »

Andrew wrote:I started to move from QDOS to SMSQE3.38 so I created a new .WIN drive image that I'll be using both on on my BBQL (SGC, QL-SD, mouse) and on QPC.
Ideally the image should have some sort of GUI frontend and should work both on BBQL and on QPC
The only GUI that works on both without much hassle seems to be Launchpad, so I installed it and hit some snags, so I need your help:

1. Configure a desktop icon
The manual says:

2.1.4.5 Option Command
Most program will not need this. Short strings may be passed to some programs as a 'command line option', usually stating some startup defaults or telling the program to load a particular file or use some given settings. Some of the programs in launchpad's accessories menu use a similar facility. The best way to explain this is with some examples using the EX command in BASIC. Some programs allow their default drives to be specified like this:

EX FLP1_MYPROG_EXE;'FLP1_'
A program called MYPROG_EXE is executed from FLP1_ and is told to use FLP1_ as its default drive. 

By leaving the filename box empty in the Item Definition Form, you can set up a "type in" command for SuperBASIC or SBASIC (or any named job). Enter the command into the Option Command box. To send the command to BASIC, leave the Job Name box empty.
If I configure the filename of an executable then it works (it launches it at DO)
But if I leave FIlename empty and I configure the Command then BASIC is started, but the command is not passed to Basic and is not executed.
How can I use the Command property in order to lrun a basic program or to start aprograms with parameters?
1.jpg

2. Change the icons
The manual says:

When you click on the Item Icon box in the form, a further screen comes up listing half of the available icons (to show the other half of the list click on the Page button at the top of the screen).
Which one is the Page button? I cannot find it!! (LATER EDIT: Found it! It was hidden under the clock!)
Is there a way to add icons to that list? or to change the icon with a different icon, one that is not shown on the icons page?
(I presume there is because on Dillwyn's page there are several zips with icons for Launchpad, but I cannot find how to use them)
3.jpg

3. Move/ Copy the icon to a different page
The manual says:

Do (right click) on the original icon, select the COPY command from the menu which appears and then move the icon to the location where you'd like the copy to be placed. If you want the copy to go on a different desktop menu, move the icon to one of the four menu selection commands at the top right and click on the one required, which will display that particular desktop. Move the icon over the location where the new copy of the icon is to be placed and Hit or Do on that location. The definition is copied there. 
Well, when you Hit or Do on that location you get the following error.
Is this a bug or am I doing somethin wrong?
4.jpg

4. Change the theme
Running on QPC v5.01 SMSQE 3.38 8,16 or 32 bit colors, when I change the theme the new colors are not applyed. The only result is this:
2.jpg

5. Is there some other GUI frontend that works, without lots of configuring, both on BBQL and QPC2 colour modes?
Am feeling very poorly today after a Moderna vaccine booster shot yesterday, so not up to doing much on the computer.

I'm using Launchpad 2.10 on QPC25.01 with SMSQ/E v3.38 for this reply. (Launchpad version number in the Copyright menu).

1. Problem with PTOP command in Easyptr, which fails to do anything. This has been a long standing issue from what Marcel told me, something to do with a timing loop. I'm afraid sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, or works on some systems not others, have never been able to get it to work reliably.

2. Yes, Page button hidden under the clock. I never liked the clock, someone asked me to add it in the very early days, hides the icon in some display sizes as you found. Best thing is just turn the damned clock thing off. You can't change the two pages of mode 4 icons, they are appended to the Easyptr file linked to the compiled program. If using v2.02 or later of Launchpad, the method of adding extra icons is listed in the HISTORY_doc/txt file in the description for v2.02. The manual never did updated for this <oops> . Basically, the list of sprites for the extra page is held in a plain text file called LP2SPRITES_dat. The first line contains the identifier characters "LP2S" (without the quotes), then subsequent lines contain a list of sprites to load. These can be mode 4 or 8-bit sprites. It was always a bit of a bodge but seem to work (never tried it with 16-bit or 24-bit sprites though)

3. This is a bug (and after a quick look at the code, it looks like something which may need a good bit of work to fix), something to do with the MAWITEM command in that line and only happens when the icon is moved to a different page. It's probably trying to put the icon in the page switch loose item by mistake, which is of course doomed to fail as it's not an application window menu item. What it should do is switch to a new page, then let you choose where to drop the moved icon. I have never seen this before, will look into it when I feel better. Because of timing issues, even if it works when dropped on the same page, you may find QPC2 is so fast that it actually goes on to execute the icon before you get a chance to release the mouse button!

4. Themes. Can't reproduce this problem (I've only tried the theme files I supply). I'm assuming you're using the MyQL->Display->System Palette Theme to select a theme. If changed from elsewhere, e.g. from BASIC, Launchpad will not automatically detect a changed theme. If a refresh display (green down-curved arrow at the top) does not work, try quitting and restarting Launchpad - it should detect it at startup. The same applies to other programs - if Launchpad changes the theme, other programs won't automatically pick it up without a manual refresh or restart. For most programs, the result is a mess like you saw, partial changes of colours all over the place.

5. I always use Launchpad, nothing else (well, apart from the ones I wrote like Go! and my start menu/taskbar systems - what's this, an author who uses his own software????), so don't know what would be best for you. Go! and Q-Bar are at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/frontend/index.html

In all honesty, Launchpad is severely outdated (2003 for the original, 2005 for the v2.xx ones) and badly in need of a major rewrite and simplification. At the time, with GD2 etc etc being the way forward it seemed the right thing to do, but now in 2021 it's not exactly ideal.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Thank you Dilwin
dilwyn wrote:Am feeling very poorly today after a Moderna vaccine booster shot yesterday, so not up to doing much on the computer.
I hope that you'll be OK by tomorrow. Seems to be a bit more side-effects with Moderna than with Pfizer
dilwyn wrote:I'm using Launchpad 2.10 on QPC25.01 with SMSQ/E v3.38 for this reply.
Same configration - although the History file says 2.11
dilwyn wrote:the method of adding extra icons is listed in the HISTORY_doc/txt file in the description for v2.02. The manual never did updated for this <oops> .
Of course, I hve not read the history file, only the manual :D Thank you!
dilwyn wrote:Themes. Can't reproduce this problem (I've only tried the theme files I supply). I'm assuming you're using the MyQL->Display->System Palette Theme to select a theme.
Yes - I am using MyQL->Display->System Palette Theme to select a theme. I tried manual refresh and also tried to restart Launchpad. Still doesn't work.
I have tried with both video modes 8 bit colour/ High Colour and both drivers Direct3D and DirectDraw - still no luck

I'll look at Go! and Q-Bar Well, I mostly use my QLCommander, but a GUI is nice to have and I like Launchpad's features.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dilwyn,

Any chance of getting Launchpad to work with Fileinfo2, this functionalty is probably one of the best features of a QL using the Extened Environment.

I distributed Lauchpad with the Q68, which was setup on QPC2/SMSQmulator and worked on the Q68 with no problems

I like the use of custom sprites in Launchpad, on the whole a nice piece of software.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Andrew wrote: 4. Change the theme
2.jpg
Are you sure the theme is meant for the mode 4 your Launchpad is running in?
The white/red stipple all over the place is 238, the default for any invalid colour.
You can check the palette with QCoCo from my site: https://home.hccnet.nl/b.spelten/ql/qcoco.html
This can show the numbers for all items, for a QL mode 4 palette anything above 255 is invalid.

BSJR

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

BSJR wrote:Are you sure the theme is meant for the mode 4 your Launchpad is running in?
I am sure that theme does not work in mode 4, but you missed my line: Running on QPC v5.01 SMSQE 3.38 8,16 or 32 bit colors,
BSJR wrote:You can check the palette with QCoCo from my site: https://home.hccnet.nl/b.spelten/ql/qcoco.html
This can show the numbers for all items, for a QL mode 4 palette anything above 255 is invalid.
I was just looking at QCoCo ! Thank you!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Dilwyn,

Any chance of getting Launchpad to work with Fileinfo2, this functionalty is probably one of the best features of a QL using the Extened Environment.

I distributed Lauchpad with the Q68, which was setup on QPC2/SMSQmulator and worked on the Q68 with no problems

I like tge use of custom sprites in Lauchpad, on the whole a nice piece of software.
In fact, Launchpad and Q-Trans already have a degree of integration with FileInfo II, although the method is a bit subtle and not well explained. It's subject to limitations of the FI2_CALL command.

Just create an icon for a non-executable file in one of Launchpad's desktops, or an entry in the Launch menu, or even the Run command and if the item being started has an existing association in FileInfo II, Launchpad will try to start the associated program to load the file. The mechanism is slightly different for S*BASIC programs, in that (as Andrew found to his cost) you get three options, execute as SBASIC job on SMSQ/E systems, execute it via FileInfo II and LRUN as a BASIC program (essentially pick BASIC and send an LRUN command to it - this is the part which goes wrong for Andrew, specifically with the PTOP command).

I had a quick look at the handling of the System Palette files. It's possible that since there is no check on the number of entries in the theme file, that something might be going wrong here, I need to look at the code in more depth when I get a chance - it's a long time since I last updated the program.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

After I uninstalled and reinstalled QPC2, the themes started to work! So now everything works
Time to start learning some PE programming, if possible.
Attachments
DSC_1799.jpg