NOOB QUESTION: learning machine code

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: NOOB QUESTION: learning machine code

Post by NormanDunbar »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I am just asking what is the standard , if any, that should be used on each operating system, i.e. QDOS/Minerva and SMSQ/E.
Sorry Derek, I misunderstood your question. I am an old dinosaur and therefore stuck in my ways. I learned the "standard" at the time which was the QDOS names. However, knowing what happened to the dinosaurs, I now figure that I better move with the times, and evolve into an old mammal instead! ;)

From the next issue of the eMagazine, Issue 10, I shall be using only the SMSQ/E mnemonics going forward. I feel, like others, that new learners should be using the current "standard" which would be the SMSQ/E one, given that there are numerous additional trap calls etc in SMSQ/E that were never part of QDOS.

In addition, it will give me something to write about! :D

I have just printed off the current (version 4.5) QDOS/SMS Reference Manual and will be studying it in the bath at some later date! (I do all my best reading in the bath!)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

NormanDunbar wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote: I have just printed off the current (version 4.5) QDOS/SMS Reference Manual and will be studying it in the bath at some later date! (I do all my best reading in the bath!)
Agree. And the main downside of e-Books ;)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I prefer ebooks, paticuarly, epub format.

I read most ebooks on my Android phone using Pocket Nook App, no ads.

I seem read alot of ebooks when I am taking the dog for a walk, who is a Staffy and likes to chew sticks, so gives the chance to read the ebook...

I was converting the SMQ/E Ref Guide to epub, but it is work in progress.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Agree. And the main downside of e-Books ;)
I read on my tablet a lot, in the bath. I used to have a waterproof pouch for it, about £12 from Lakeland. They have a foamy pillow inside.

When I broke the seam on the pouch, I discovered that a resealable plastic freezer bag did as good a job and can be recycled afterwards. Simply shove the Foamy pillow in the bag, slip tablet in, partially seal the deal, squeeze the air out and fully seal it.

Make sure to put the screen on the plain side of the bag though, keep the writing on the back!

Lasts for weeks. :D

Cheers,
Norm.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

NormanDunbar wrote:<>From the next issue of the eMagazine, Issue 10, I shall be using only the SMSQ/E mnemonics going forward. I feel, like others, that new learners should be using the current "standard" which would be the SMSQ/E one, given that there are numerous additional trap calls etc in SMSQ/E that were never part of QDOS.

In addition, it will give me something to write about! :D<>
Good move, Norm! And learning a new language, which in a way this is, is good sport for the ol' brain.
NormanDunbar wrote:I have just printed off the current (version 4.5) QDOS/SMS Reference Manual and will be studying it in the bath at some later date! (I do all my best reading in the bath!)
The SMSQ/E key files, while not exactly bath-time reading (as they could cause one to fall asleep and drown), are the ultimate source for SMSQ/E mnemonics.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I was converting the SMQ/E Ref Guide to epub, but it is work in progress
Have you tried Calibre to help with the conversions? It can convert from ODT and PDF amongst others, details in the docs at https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conver ... cific-tips. Pdfs are best avoided though!

I used it years ago, but I've not needed it recently.

Cheers,
Norm.

TMD2003
Trump Card

Post by TMD2003 »

I interrupt all the conversation about e-books to mention that I haven't forgotten this thread - it's just that I've got a lot of last-month CSSCGC stuff to get finished, not least the Bullseye Bonus Game which is looking... phenomenal. And right now, I'm a long way from QL-ville... wrestling with all the
Doug DeMuro wrote:QUIRRRRRRRRKS AND FEATURRRRRRRRRES
...of the 1977 editions of the Apple II, Commodore PET and TRS-80 Model I. Maybe one day you will find out why.

Also, I don't see any good reason why the Bullseye Bonus Game wouldn't be portable to the QL... maybe I'll do that, some time next year?

Once I have some time, I'll comb through this thread and extract everything I might need from it. 68000 machine code, at least the basics...
Jeremy Clarkson wrote:How Hard Can It Be?
Richard Hammond wrote:DON'T SAY THAT!

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

TMD2003 wrote:Also, I don't see any good reason why the Bullseye Bonus Game wouldn't be portable to the QL... maybe I'll do that, some time next year?
Hi Jim,

Where can I see the Bullseye Bounus game?

I have been trying to port some Spectrum games in basic and assembler to the QL, maybe I could help with Bullseye...

Regards,

Derek
TMD2003
Trump Card

Post by TMD2003 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
TMD2003 wrote:Also, I don't see any good reason why the Bullseye Bonus Game wouldn't be portable to the QL... maybe I'll do that, some time next year?
Where can I see the Bullseye Bounus game?
I have been trying to port some Spectrum games in basic and assembler to the QL, maybe I could help with Bullseye...
On the CSSCGC website, when I post it - which should be on 18th December, if everything is in order. The actual release date is "after I finish posting the last of the reviews for the main competition", and I'm bound to get a few at the last minute.

You'll know about its release as I'll post it on the CSSCGC thread.

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!