QED version 2.03 released!

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

QED version 2.03 released!

Post by janbredenbeek »

QED version 2.03 has been released. This is mainly a bugfix release, but the main enhancement is that QED now has much better handling of paragraph-oriented text files. Long lines can now be formatted to either fit into the window on multiple rows or remain on a single pannable row like previous versions.

As usual, the new release can be downloaded along with the source code on my GitHub page: https://github.com/janbredenbeek/QED

Have fun, Jan.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QED version 2.03 released!

Post by pjw »

This looks great, Jan!
Ive gotten so used to The Editor Im not sure Im up to learning a new one, but I'll sure give it a try at the first opportunity. I particularly like that its written in clean, compact assembler! I wish I had the patience to to more of that..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks Jan.

QED was the first text editor I used on the QL when I had the Metacomco assembler, pascal and c stuff. I still go back to it most of the time.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Good news! I really like that text editor for its small size and lightness. Paragraph-oriented text files feature is very useful for me. Jan, cool!

I have tested the new version on my systems and everything has gone correctly. I only have a slight problem when I use QED with SMSQ/E on my QL with SGC, accented vowels produce unwanted extra characters. This occurs in my QL with French and Spanish keyboard tables (KBD_TABLE 33 or KBD_TABLE 34). This problem does not happen with Minerva. In QPC2 the operation with accented vowels is also correct.

Jan, what could be the problem?

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

afx wrote:Good news! I really like that text editor for its small size and lightness. Paragraph-oriented text files feature is very useful for me. Jan, cool!

I have tested the new version on my systems and everything has gone correctly. I only have a slight problem when I use QED with SMSQ/E on my QL with SGC, accented vowels produce unwanted extra characters. This occurs in my QL with French and Spanish keyboard tables (KBD_TABLE 33 or KBD_TABLE 34). This problem does not happen with Minerva. In QPC2 the operation with accented vowels is also correct.
That's interesting... I've done a quick test on a BBQL with GC and SMSQ/E, and the KBD_TABLE 33 command seems to have no effect on the keyboard layout (unlike on QPC2). Maybe it's the outdated version on the GC (3.31); I'll do some more extensive testing tomorrow.
Does this problem also occur on earlier QED versions? QED doesn't really handle ASCII codes 80-BF differently. Even search commands are case independent on accented letters (80-8B and A0-AB).

Jan

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

janbredenbeek wrote:That's interesting... I've done a quick test on a BBQL with GC and SMSQ/E, and the KBD_TABLE 33 command seems to have no effect on the keyboard layout (unlike on QPC2). Maybe it's the outdated version on the GC (3.31);
Yeah, I fixed that sometime last year. Hasn't made it in the version history it seems, though.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

janbredenbeek wrote:Does this problem also occur on earlier QED versions? QED doesn't really handle ASCII codes 80-BF differently. Even search commands are case independent on accented letters (80-8B and A0-AB).
The behavior of accented vowels is correct in QED version 1.01. The SMSQ/E version that I am using is 3.37 (as Marcel says the keyboard layaut problem is already solved for the QL version).

By the way, Editor 2000 has the same problem with accented vowels. The rest of the editors that I have tried all work correctly (QD, SEdit, Quill, ...)).

Best regards.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Okay, found it... On this keyboard layout, the key to the right of the P key is used for composing accented characters. So when you press this key followed by 'e', you will get an accented e (it also depends on when you used the compose key shifted or not).

Now the thing is that this key by itself does generate a character code, namely CHR$(0). And, QED v1.x just ignored any control character below space (except TAB and ENTER) so this was OK. But QED v2.x doesn't reject these codes (I don't remember whether this change was intentional or not). So the 'compose key' now inserts a CHR$(0) in the text, which is obviously not desired.
(Interestingly, on QPC2 the same 'compose' key does NOT generate any code when pressed by itself).

I'll release a patched version later today. I could revert to the v1.x logic that rejects anything below CHR$(32) but for the moment I will choose to just reject CHR$(0), as there might be people around who like this particular feature (which is probably only useful when you have a Minerva character set installed)...

Jan.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

The patched version is now available here.

Jan

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

janbredenbeek wrote:The patched version is now available here.
Great! Thanks Jan for the QED support.

(Another little comment. When auto word wrapping is enabled in QED, if you type text and you reach the right margin of the text, QED will perform an automatic newline and place the partially complete word on a new line (this is ok), but it appears to insert an LF before that word. Wouldn't it be possible to avoid that LF char? )

Best regards.