Job suspension

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Job suspension

Post by Martin_Head »

If I am going to suspend a job for a long time. Say 5 minutes. Is there any benefit in reducing it's priority before suspending it?

Or does it make no difference to how much time the scheduler will spend checking the job.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Job suspension

Post by Peter »

I simply tried this out for a single suspended job, while running a benchmark as another job. No noticeable difference.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Martin_Head wrote:If I am going to suspend a job for a long time. Say 5 minutes. Is there any benefit in reducing it's priority before suspending it?
Or does it make no difference to how much time the scheduler will spend checking the job.
The scheduler code does not even consider the status of the job if it's priority is zero (at least on JS). If nonzero, it decreases the suspension counter and if this reaches zero the job will re-start with appropriate priority.
So the answer will be 'no' unless you set it to zero, in which case you may observe a very small (if not unnoticable) speed advantage. The downside is that you have to re-activate the job yourself.

Jan

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

OK thanks for that. I will just leave the priority alone once set.