256x256 SCR file sample

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Dec
ROM Dongle

256x256 SCR file sample

Post by Dec »

I want to add to my own BMP2SCR tool a possibility of creation of Sinclair QL SCR files. I already know structure of SCR file, used color and so on. All I need now is sample of 256x256 SCR file and the same image in bmp/png/gif format (or just a photo of monitor). Could somebody provide me such sample?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: 256x256 SCR file sample

Post by vanpeebles »

Oops, I forgot to make you one! I’ll what I can do either tonight or tomorrow :D

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

A scr created by me for The King. In the zip file you will find the jpg, png, photoshop raw and QL scr files.
Keep in mind that the image was created using the Sinclair 8 colors palette. For images created with 8,16 or 32 bit palettes you will need to map the colors to the nearest QL color and probably use dither.
KingKong.jpg
KingKong.jpg (120.04 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Attachments
king.zip
(120.53 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Looks great!

Dec
ROM Dongle

Post by Dec »

Andrew wrote:A scr created by me for The King.
Thanks!
Andrew wrote:Keep in mind that the image was created using the Sinclair 8 colors palette. For images created with 8,16 or 32 bit palettes you will need to map the colors to the nearest QL color and probably use dither.
This is how my tool works:
QL_512.png
QL_256.png
Download link.

In your sample scr file has additional header. I know nothing about this header but if you want the tool to create files with such header - give me some link to header description.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Looks great !
Dec wrote:In your sample scr file has additional header. I know nothing about this header but if you want the tool to create files with such header - give me some link to header description.
Just ignore the header. It was added by Qemulator, when I created the scr file in a DOS directory. I forgot to remove it.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Oooh, that's brilliant. Must give that a try.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Dec wrote: In your sample scr file has additional header. I know nothing about this header but if you want the tool to create files with such header - give me some link to header description.
QL SCR files normally don't have headers. PIC file do and the image data is the same for modes 4 & 8.
PIC files have a 10 byte header but need QPTR or EasPTR tools to display. You can also cut this header first and treat them as screens.
See this link about the header:
http://www.knoware.no/doc/extensions.htm

Dec
ROM Dongle

Post by Dec »

BSJR wrote:See this link about the header
Thanks. Your link contains short info about mode 16, mode 32, mode 33 and mode 64. Where can I get more info about this modes?

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Dec wrote:
BSJR wrote:See this link about the header
Thanks. Your link contains short info about mode 16, mode 32, mode 33 and mode 64. Where can I get more info about this modes?
There is some in the SuperBASIC Manual. Check out the Display appendix. There is more information scattered about (eg in the SMSQ/E sources documentation.) But concise, ready-to-use information in one place is, to my knowledge, absent.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?