QL Sprite Editor

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
BSJR
Trump Card

Re: QL Sprite Editor

Post by BSJR »

dilwyn wrote: IIRC, there is a degree of automatic conversion when printing sprites in the high colour modes in GD2. So mode 32 and 33 sprites should work OK either way around. Can't remember for sure about 256 colour sprites, although I *think* they also display OK in mode 32 and 33. Same applies to the mode 64 sprites, although no mode 64 display hardware exists yet AFAIK.
Indeed SMSQ/E will automatically convert any mode SPR into the current Native High mode, so there is no reason to include all of them.
When running in mode 4 or 8 High modes are not converted so these Low modes may need to be chained.

SQRview can load many QL & PC formats and these can be saved as PIC, this can then be converted to SPRs too.
https://home.hccnet.nl/b.spelten/ql/sqrview.html
There is also a version of Wolfgang's Chain program, wrapped in a PE interface that can handle Extended & Dynamic SPRs.
https://home.hccnet.nl/b.spelten/ql/utils.html
On the same page you'll also find my version of Per's Msprv/Sprv viewer which can better deal with big SPRs.

BSJR

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thank you Bob. Very useful.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:<>
The convertion worked, but I coukd not display or edit the converted sprite files.

It turns out I forgot to check the size of the PNG file, which was 940x460 pixels, so the PNGconvert programme converted tge PNG file to SPR file with a file size of 940x460, too large for the SMSQ/E window.
You could have used BSJR's excellent SQRview to view a-larger-than-screen sprite.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

I am sorry to say, I forgot about Bob's excellent software till I sorted the initial problems I had.

The problems seem to stem from my lack of understanding of Sprites.

Regards,

Derek