Football Manager Type Game

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Football Manager Type Game

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

FootBall Manager:

I think I sated in an earlier message, that I had converted over Football Manager by Kevin Toms on ZX Spectrum to the QL, well looking at the code again, I have the programme loading into S*BASIC with any MIStake error.

The errors related to the use of the Spectrum PRINT statement, which ca have AT, PAPER, INK, OVER in the the PRINT command line. My solution was to have all that before the PRINT statement. I also wrote some Procedures and Functions to emulate the Spectrum commands.

I have to define a custom Fount for the Spectrum user defined graphics and block graphics. This loaded as Fount 2.

I have to get the colours correct for the QL and the menu-ing structure correct,

Also I have to correct some of the bad programming, for example, there is jumoing into For loops and GOTOs all over the place.

So a little to do,

FA CUP

The Spectrum FACUP game I have converted over to the QL, I have defined the teams, as data statements rather than typing in 124 teams... I have used upto date Leagues positions in the data.

I just have to get the logic for the FA Cup results running on the QL and maybe a Vidi-Printer option.

There are many bad programming errors in the programme, mainly due to the SPectrum BASIC implementation.

I used BASINC 1.70 to convert the TAP and TZX files, which can save to a ASCII BAS file with details of the variables used.

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Hoardins!
Attachments
replay2.png
replay2.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 3036 times

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome to the old Clock Stand at QL Park!
Attachments
replay5.png
replay5.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 3024 times

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Sprite 9x14 - maybe it helps
I could not make it smaller
Football.png
Football.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 3001 times

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

those are wonderful!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

TV Gantry
Attachments
replay8.png

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

It looks really great! Did you created it only from code or in a graphics editor?
That TV Gantry looks special and adds a splash of color - but it can become an issue if you want to animate players, as it is over the playfield. Also the fence

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Just all by hand, pixel at a time. Yeah basically, think of that screen, with some figures moving about in the goal area, then it saying goal, or saved etc. Like the original football manager on the speccy.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

vanpeebles wrote: Like the original football manager on the speccy.
I have not played much on the speccy. I remember playing Saboteur, Chuckie Egg, The Hobbit and maybe a couple of others.
I had a +3 back in the days, but I used it mostly as a CP/M machine.
And wrote a couple of programs on it - the largest being a program for testing the programs used for an industrial robot. You could design the room and the objects in the room and then write the robot program - and the program verified if the movement is ok or if the robots knocks the walls or the objects in the room. It included the 3D representation of the room, objects and robot and some animation. It streched the +3's capabilities to the limit and you were limited to only 4k for the robot program.

I mentioned before that one of my QLs came with a cartridge with FootballManager 4. I have no idea if this was a commercial game, but I doubt it because it's superbasic. I could not find it in microdrive exchange either.
This is the game:
Attachments
FootballManager.zip
(7.42 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'd like to see the robot program! On footy manager it would just show like a pre recorded highlight of the ball being passed about and would have a goal or not. You didn't control it or anything.