SETW compatibility

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
ajb
ROM Dongle

SETW compatibility

Post by ajb »

I've been looking at Norm's example SETW session in Chapter 24 of his QL Today Assembler series. I am finding that SETW works fine under Q-emulator with SMSQ/E loaded (Goldcard_bin). However, when using Q-emulator with JS+Tk2+PE the program crashes after all the window information has been input. The error is "FAULT: Can't open F** files". The emulator is set to 4Mb.

It fails at the same place when using the latest Minerva ROM.

I'm using all the latest versions (e.g. setwp09). I've been unable to find the version to which the chapter refers (i.e. setwp05). My question is whether SETW is supposed to be able to work under QDOS or is this user error on my part?

Alan

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: SETW compatibility

Post by NormanDunbar »

The source for SETW is at http://gwiltprogs.info/setws08.zip if you need to take a look.

Works fine on QPC.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
ajb
ROM Dongle

Post by ajb »

Well at least the good behaviour with SMSQ/E seems to be consistent then (using a massive sample size of 2).
I must have a look at QPC2 again sometime. I only had a cursory glance a while back and couldn't work out how to make the emulation window bigger. I've enough documentation to read at the moment and better not get distracted by that.

Alan

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

ajb wrote:Well at least the good behaviour with SMSQ/E seems to be consistent then (using a massive sample size of 2).
I must have a look at QPC2 again sometime. I only had a cursory glance a while back and couldn't work out how to make the emulation window bigger.
Just make the window bigger like on any other Windows application? What am I missing?

Marcel

ajb
ROM Dongle

Post by ajb »

mk79 wrote:Just make the window bigger like on any other Windows application? What am I missing?

Marcel
Thanks for the unexpected reply (given that that bit of my post was an OT off-the-cuff comment).
The main window I had no problem with - the one that was baffling me at the time (and I suppose still is, given my hiatus from it) was the red/white/black QL window i.e. how to get that bigger. I couldn't see any obvious resize options for it, either as icons or by pointing at the corners looking for action points.

Alan

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

ajb wrote:
mk79 wrote:Just make the window bigger like on any other Windows application? What am I missing?
hanks for the unexpected reply (given that that bit of my post was an OT off-the-cuff comment).
The main window I had no problem with - the one that was baffling me at the time (and I suppose still is, given my hiatus from it) was the red/white/black QL window i.e. how to get that bigger. I couldn't see any obvious resize options for it, either as icons or by pointing at the corners looking for action points.
Interesting, thanks. This is covered in the manual but maybe I should ship QPC with 512x256 resolution enabled by default so people don't have this "why is basic not covering my whole screen" experience. You can select 512x256 manually in the configuration dialog.

Alternatively you could enter

Code: Select all

WINDOW #1,SCR_XLIM DIV 2,SCR_YLIM-54,SCR_XLIM DIV 2,0
WINDOW #2,SCR_XLIM DIV 2,SCR_YLIM-54,0,0
WINDOW #0,SCR_XLIM,54,0,SCR_YLIM-54
BORDER #1,1,7,0:BORDER#2,1,7,0:BORDER#0,0,0
CLS#0:CLS#1:CLS#2
and enjoy much more screen space with smaller pixels.

ajb
ROM Dongle

Post by ajb »

Thanks, very useful. I always read the manual before using anything like QPC2 in earnest, so I was essentially just giving a first impression of the opening screen in my throw-away remark. For some reason I was expecting the sort of display given by selecting 720x400 on the LHS i.e. the emulator window occupying approximately a third of the area of the main window (and easier on eyes with a few age-related drusen). Anyway, after I've finished some current documentation I'll have a read of QPC2's and maybe find myself revising that layout expectation. It looks meaty & neat.

Alan