Newbie: Where to start to learn QL assembly language?

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Ruptor
Gold Card

Re: Newbie: Where to start to learn QL assembly language?

Post by Ruptor »

Oh don't remind me! I had nightmares of my first year Lab assignment putting Hex OP codes in to a Z80 to get it to add two numbers. I was elated when they introduced us to the assembler even when it took ages to turn the 8" floppies to generate the code. :D

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Probably more an exercise in humility than CS :)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I used to, occasionally, boot an ICL 1966 mainframe with the IPL switches. (IPL = Initial Program Load.) Circa 1983.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Ruptor wrote:Oh don't remind me! I had nightmares of my first year Lab assignment putting Hex OP codes in to a Z80 to get it to add two numbers. I was elated when they introduced us to the assembler even when it took ages to turn the 8" floppies to generate the code. :D
My worst "thing" while I was a student: Programmed a Fortran program (66 I think) on a computer, where you have to input the code via punch cards(!). The program did run (correctly!). I've bundled the cards with a rubber band. Sometimes the rubber was defect... All cards dropped to the floor, fully unordered :-(

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

As a student, my better "worst thing" was to program FORTRAN on a formatted paper sheet and have it corrected by my teacher with red ink.
POLKa
Indeed, my engineering school did not own a single computer at that time : got one the next year, where you had to program on punched cards.
(but we had also good sliding rules !)

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa