Forth

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
polka
Trump Card

Re: Forth

Post by polka »

Hi all !

As promised, some speed comparisons between Computer One Forth and SuperForth :

I will use the PERSPECTIVE.FTH program adding only a word to replace the infinite loop of AROUND by a DO loop. This word is called BROUND (why not ?). And I will also add a simpler word for DREAM called BREAM.

Code: Select all

: BREAM ( --- k ) 1 KEYROW
   STEP POINT-OF-VIEW NIGHTMARE @ EXECUTE CLS ;
: BROUND ( n --- d )
   TIME ROT ' NIGHTMARE !
   0 DO
      BREAM
      64 = IF I . LEAVE THEN
   LOOP
   TIME SWAP D- D. ;
The word BROUND will need to input the number n of desired loops and will return the difference in seconds d between two calls of TIME. I simplified BROUND compared to AROUND, it will not check for rotation changes, only watch the space bar, that may interrupt the looping ; in this case, you will also get the actual number of loops. Use BROUND for instance like this :

6000 6000 4000 POINT-OF-VIEW RZ 1000 BROUND AIRPLANE

The results are :
With SuperForth : 2400 secs
With Computer One Forth : 840 secs

The work to be done by this program is of two kinds :
- computations of the perspective transforms (in both cases with exactly the same all-Forth code)
- drawing lines (with my assembler word ADRAW for Computer One Forth and with a all-Forth equivalent for SuperForth)
because drawing with SuperForth needs to convert the 2D integer coordinates to floats for the QL to use its QDOS/SuperBasic graphics.
This equivalent, also called ADRAW, has exactly the same stack trace as the assembler word for ComputerOne :

ADRAW ( color, X1 , Y1, X2 , Y2 --- color, X2 , Y2 ) for chaining drawn lines just adding one new pair of coordinates.

To have the program do all the perspective computations (exactly the same code with both Forth) without drawing, i just had to modify the word SEG :

: SEG DUP ABS PIXEL ROT 0> IF ADRAW ELSE 2SWAP 2DROP THEN ;

: SEG DUP ABS PIXEL ROT 0> IF 2DROP ELSE 2SWAP 2DROP THEN ;

Without ADRAW, the (astonishing) results are :
With SuperForth : 1280 secs
With Computer One Forth : 610 secs
So, the part of this program only written in Forth runs two times faster on Computer One Forth than on SuperForth.

By difference :
My assembler ADRAW uses 130 secs (from the 840)
while the equivalent ADRAW for SuperForth through QL graphics needs 1120 secs (from the 2400)

As a conclusion, on a BBQL ComputerOne Forth draws my AIRPLANE every 0.8 secs, whereas SupperForth digests it in 2.4 secs. With my other Tetroid card (that has Minerva - but stays in Paris while I am still confined in the Alps) I thus may be able to animate 3D on a BBQL on one screen while displaying the other one with a periodicity of less than 1 sec.

Bye POLKA - Today I am 72, happy birthday to me !

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Bye POLKA - Today I am 72, happy birthday to me !
Happy Birthday Polka. I hope you have a good one, trapped in the Alps.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

Hi all ! Jedi is back
In another post, I showed a random dot autostereography generator written in Oberon for an emulation of the Ceres workstation.
Why no try it in a BBQL ? Indeed, with the limited display resolution, you may not reach nice 3D, only kind of basis low-relief images.
( by the way, do english speakers say low-relief or bas-relief - I found both translations with no preference ?).

But I decided to adopt a more intersting background image than random dots. In another life I travelled one day to Scottland and bought this precious little book :
Scottish Tartans.pdf
(48.59 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Thus I decided to write a program (in FORTH of course) that let me display any tartan at will. And for you to play with it, to port it to "supper"forth as a plain text file to load with the LOAD_FILE command. As an example, I show the tartan of the Sinclair clan (not very intersting compared to others). Here is the graphic result :
sinclairql.gif
And here is the list :

Code: Select all

0 CONSTANT BLACK 
2 CONSTANT RED
4 CONSTANT GREEN 
7 CONSTANT WHITE

HEX CREATE 4COLORS
7F7F , BFBF , DFDF , EFEF , F7F7 , FBFB , FDFD , FEFE , ( msk )
0080 , 0040 , 0020 , 0010 , 0008 , 0004 , 0002 , 0001 , ( red )
8000 , 4000 , 2000 , 1000 , 0800 , 0400 , 0200 , 0100 , ( grn )
8080 , 4040 , 2020 , 1010 , 0808 , 0404 , 0202 , 0101 , ( wht )
DECIMAL

: 4DOT ( c,x,y ) 128 * SWAP 8 /MOD 2* ROT + 0 131072. D+ 2DUP
A@ 3 PICK 2* 4COLORS + @ AND 4 PICK 0> IF 4 ROLL 2/ 16 * 4 ROLL
2* + 4COLORS + @ OR ELSE >R 2SWAP 2DROP R> THEN ROT ROT A! ;

VARIABLE L 

: WARP HERE 1 ALLOT 0 L ! ;

: WEFT CREATE DUP C@ DUP C, 
  HERE SWAP DUP * ALLOT
  OVER C@ 0 2DUP DO 2DUP DO
    I J + 4 MOD 2/
    IF I ELSE J THEN
    4 PICK 1+ + C@
    4 + PICK
    4 PICK C@ I * J +
    4 PICK + C!
  LOOP LOOP 2DROP 2DROP ;

: TARTAN CREATE WARP DOES> WEFT ;

: | SWAP 0 DO DUP C, 1 L +! LOOP DROP ;

: END_TARTAN L @ SWAP C! ;

: WEAVE DUP C@ L ! 1+ 
  256 0 DO 
    I L @ MOD L @ *
    512 0 DO 
      2DUP I L @ MOD + + C@ I J 4DOT 
    LOOP DROP 
  LOOP KEY 2DROP ;

TARTAN SINCLAIR 8 2 | 5 0 | 3 3 | 5 0 | 21 1 |
                5 0 | 3 3 | 5 0 | 8 2 | 21 1 | END_TARTAN

WHITE GREEN RED BLACK SINCLAIR QL

QL WEAVE

END_FILE
You will notice that this program has a "double deck" CREATE design : first you will have to define a TARTAN word with a number of pairs of integers defining a WARP (in each pair you find the number of streams and a color code - when you use only 4 colors, the codes are 0 1 2 3 ; if you use only two colors, they are 0 and 1 (in the future I will develop a version of the program with up to 8 color codes).

When you have a tartan with a give name, let's say SINCLAIR, you may by naming it, choose the real colors it will associate to the color codes ; thus you may define different WEFTs for a same WARP. The WEFT created will have a different name than the tartan WARP :

WHITE GREEN RED BLACK SINCLAIR QL (or any other color combinations) will give you a WEFT named QL to WEAVE on the display :

QL WEAVE

Now, to use such periodic wefts to create the illusion of autostereography, I will "only" have to write another word to use instead of WEAVE (that for the moment I did not design).

In the mean time have fun ! (if you wish)

POLKa

N.B. For supperForth, I had to develop a screen pixel painting word called 4DOT (8DOT already coded 8 colors tartans on the way), and it was not easy, due the the very weird display memory management "à la Sinclair".

POLKa
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hmmm, looks a bit like my tartan:
dunbar_mod_big.jpg
dunbar_mod_big.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
which, I have to say, is bloody awful. So I have a kilt in this one, Pride of Scotland:
KTF-PSCO.jpg
Much easier on the eye!

Cheers,
Norm.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

So a programming language that's named after a Scottish river that can produce Tartans on a QL ! :-)

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

Pr0f wrote:So a programming language that's named after a Scottish river that can produce Tartans on a QL ! :-)
On a SINCLAIR QL !

I don't remember when, but we had a Forth convention in a town named Forth (also in Scotland ?). For the moment, the QL cannot cook haggish, but I will try...

Haggish is stuffed sheep stomach, I liked it, in Elsass (Strasbourg - France) we have an equivalent : stuffed pork stomach.

Norman, I found your tartan (and the history of your clan) in my book ! I don't find it so awfull.
Last edited by polka on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

POLKa
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

polka wrote:Haggish is stuffed sheep stomach, I liked it, in Elsass (Strasbourg - France) we have an equivalent : stuffed pork stomach.
Haggis is quite simply what is left when a sheep decides to eat itself! :D :D :D

Seriously though, Haggis is of Asian origin, and was first recorded as being eaten in Lancashire, England!

I do like the sound of your stuffed pork stomach though.
polka wrote:Norman, I found your tartan (and the history of your clan) in my book ! I don't find it so awfull.
The Dunbars originated near the town of Dunbar, but we moved North and took over the Moray and Nairn area in the North East. I think that, if you see it in the flesh, you might change your mind on the tartan. :o

I never knew there was a town called Forth, only a river. That's today's "learn something new" -- the QL is very educational!

Cheers,
Norm.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

NormanDunbar wrote: The Dunbars originated near the town of Dunbar, but we moved North and took over the Moray and Nairn area in the North East. I think that, if you see it in the flesh, you might change your mind on the tartan. :o
Do you have the title: Laird Dunbar?
NormanDunbar wrote: I never knew there was a town called Forth, only a river. That's today's "learn something new" -- the QL is very educational!
I think the comment stated the River Forth...

Regards,

Derek
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

I think the comment stated the River Forth...
I have found two Forth villages in Scotland (not very close to Forth River) and in Germany (part of Eckental).

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

Yes, I remember now : the Forth conference that I attended was in Forth-Germany. I went to Scotland only once, for a mechanical engineering seminar (several years before the Forth confernce in Germany). I am old, you know...

POLKa