TCP/IP processor load under QPC2

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RalfR
Aurora

TCP/IP processor load under QPC2

Post by RalfR »

If not everyone knows: QLirc (by Tim Swenson, enhanced by Dilwyn) is a program to chat via QLforum.

What I have found out (under WIN7 with QPC2 4.05, 2 proc PC) is, that it gives a processor load of 50%, even if QLirc does nothing. So the processor fan runs like a BAC 1-11 and kept me from sleeping :D . When I quit QLirc, all is silent. So I think, it has something to do with the TCP/IP connection.

Has anyone an idea, what that could be?

4E75 7000
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: TCP/IP processor load under QPC2

Post by mk79 »

Ah sorry, I read your mail but it's just too much at the moment. Looking at the code QWirc does busy waiting, which is always bad for CPU load. Try changing INKEY$(xx, 0) to "INKEY$(xx, 1)" to rate limit the loop to 50 accesses per second.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

The current version of QLirc does this anyway in an attempt to reduce the load - I had suggested this to Ralf when he contacted me about it.

QLirc has come on a lot since Tim's early demo. It has been used to connect to the QL Forum IRC channel for several hours by a few people testing it.

I'm adding more and more to it, almost ready for a trial release now.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Ah ok, I googled it and just found Tim's version. Can't keep up with most of the forum right now.

Cheers, Marcel

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote:I'm adding more and more to it, almost ready for a trial release now.
Oooh looking forward to that!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

robheaton wrote:
dilwyn wrote:I'm adding more and more to it, almost ready for a trial release now.
Oooh looking forward to that!
I just say "/move x,y"......

:mrgreen:

4E75 7000