nxtp Client for TCP_ equipped emulators

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
QuantumLeapGR
ROM Dongle

nxtp Client for TCP_ equipped emulators

Post by QuantumLeapGR »

Today as a small break from the ZX Spectrum Next manual, I completed a nxtp client for TCP_ device equipped emulators; This is basically a simplified version of the ntp protocol as hosted by Robin Verhagen-Guest on time.nxtel.org . A client already exists for the ZX Spectrum Next so it was only logical to do the same for the QL. For QLs that have some form of a serial attached ESP chip, conversion is very easy using the SER device and I'll be glad to write that one too if I get some sort of feel of what's the preferred ESP based solution for QLs; I've been away from QLs for a very long time so I'm not totally up-to-date on things :) Attached, there's a screenshot of my QPC2 connecting to my local nxtp server and its response: I'll be posting the executable once I'm done debugging it (in a day's time or so).
Of course someone would ask: Why? The answer is simple: why not? I'm basically prototyping here; I can get Q68 to talk to an ESP via SER but ideally I'd love to see Peter's QLuwIP solution; I used that with my Q40 years ago and it worked great.
I'll be experimenting with the ESP tomorrow :D

A Happy New Year to Everyone
Attachments
QPC2-talking-toNxtpServer.png

ZX81, TS 1000, TS 1500, Sinclair ZX Spectrum +, 128, +3, TS 2068, ZX Uno, ZX Spectrum Next, JS128HQ
Sinclair QL w/ SGC, QubIDE, RomDisQ, sH (missing my Aurora... NASTAAAAAAAA :D ), Q40, Sinclair QL w/ Trump Card, Hermes, QubIDE
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: nxtp Client for TCP_ equipped emulators

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Phoebus,

This sounds great, can you implement SLIP ?

Regards,

Derek
QuantumLeapGR
ROM Dongle

Post by QuantumLeapGR »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Phoebus,

This sounds great, can you implement SLIP ?
Using an ESP you basically don't need it as you (usually) communicate with the ESP serially via AT commands. It has its own stack and it does the talking to the internet. It's the cheapest solution to implement internet on small devices if you don't develop your own stack. Peter said elsewhere that he got his QLuwIP port working with the Q68, so that would make it possible to talk to the internet without an ESP (via SER). What I'm doing with the ESP is actually replicating what the Next client is doing; the checksums etc are pretty trivial.

Best,
Phoebus

ZX81, TS 1000, TS 1500, Sinclair ZX Spectrum +, 128, +3, TS 2068, ZX Uno, ZX Spectrum Next, JS128HQ
Sinclair QL w/ SGC, QubIDE, RomDisQ, sH (missing my Aurora... NASTAAAAAAAA :D ), Q40, Sinclair QL w/ Trump Card, Hermes, QubIDE
QuantumLeapGR
ROM Dongle

Post by QuantumLeapGR »

On another note; I set the nxtp client aside for a little bit (it basically works fine with the TCP_ device) and are now implementing my PS/2 to QL matrix adaptor so I can put the Q68 inside a QL case; which is definitely much neater than a plain box. Now if only my hands were stable enough and my eyesight good enough to solder these teeny-tiny expansion header pins that would be great :P