P.I. Cole - noir detective game RELEASED

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Re: P.I. Cole - noir detective game RELEASED

Post by stephen_usher »

Surely it would need TK2_EXT in the boot file anyway as it's not loaded automatically after reset?

I'm confused why it would work on other platforms by default.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

stephen_usher wrote:Surely it would need TK2_EXT in the boot file anyway as it's not loaded automatically after reset?

I'm confused why it would work on other platforms by default.
SGC, Tetroid's GC and Trump Card and Tetroid's multi-ROM have TK2 in rom and it start without the need of TK2_Ext command
Same goes for QEmulator - you can configure it to use TK2 in QLConfiguration -ROMs - Back Rom - and set it to Active
So on none of my systems I have to add the TK2_EXT line in the boot file

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Actually, to get TK2 commands on a Trump Card you need to load them with TK2_EXT. I've had one since '87 and it says that TK2 isn't loaded until TK2_EXT is run in the manual too.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

stephen_usher wrote:Actually, to get TK2 commands on a Trump Card you need to load them with TK2_EXT. I've had one since '87 and it says that TK2 isn't loaded until TK2_EXT is run in the manual too.
I do not have a trump card, but with original SGC and Tetroid's GC and Tetroid's multi ROM I do not have to use TK2_Ext
I presume that on tetroid's trump card with CF you also do not need to.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Hmm... You still need to invoke TK2_EXT on the Tetroid SGC clone so I'm wondering if you're lumping the floppy driver ROM code in with TK2 in your description?

Are you merely talking about the disk access sub-system? If so, what level of directory support etc. does your code need?

As far as I can remember even the Trump Card only had level 1 (simulated) directories and that version added random access file access. Later versions added hard directories etc. I'm wondering if your game needs this later facility.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

stephen_usher wrote:Hmm... You still need to invoke TK2_EXT on the Tetroid SGC clone so I'm wondering if you're lumping the floppy driver ROM code in with TK2 in your description?

Are you merely talking about the disk access sub-system? If so, what level of directory support etc. does your code need?

As far as I can remember even the Trump Card only had level 1 (simulated) directories and that version added random access file access. Later versions added hard directories etc. I'm wondering if your game needs this later facility.
Stephen,
As you can see above, the code is using FTEST, which hasn‘t much to do with level 2 drivers (although it is there).

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Andrew, the graphics are attractive on a LCD monitor, and become so beautiful on a CRT TV via RGB! Even the small condensed text appears well readable and smooth.
I do like the menus and the map also. I can navigate all the menus with my joystick (apart from the Enter key - joystick utilizes spacebar).
Your game runs perfectly on QL (plus Trumpcard).
Great job!

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Cristian wrote:Andrew, the graphics are attractive on a LCD monitor, and become so beautiful on a CRT TV via RGB! Even the small condensed text appears well readable and smooth.
I do like the menus and the map also. I can navigate all the menus with my joystick (apart from the Enter key - joystick utilizes spacebar).
Your game runs perfectly on QL (plus Trumpcard).
Great job!
Thank you Christian !
And yes, maybe I should have used space instead of enter to select the menu items. (I noticed that when I tried to use the mouse :) )

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

stephen_usher wrote:Hmm... You still need to invoke TK2_EXT on the Tetroid SGC clone so I'm wondering if you're lumping the floppy driver ROM code in with TK2 in your description?

My bad - I use a boot file that calls some other boot files, and I have a TK_Ext in one of them. So yes, you were right, it is necessary to call it.
The game does not need directories - it happily runs on microdrives also. I use FTEST to check to check if the path to the game is valid, and if it's not then I print some instructions on how to run the game and stop the program.
This was a later addition, as some people seemed to miss this in the manual.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, I'm glad we've sorted out the mystery. :-)