Knoware.no

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Knoware.no

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Per,

I downloaded, WQRDLI and loaded into SMSQmulator, all worked first time, looks a nice game programme.
It actually worked?!!! :o
Derek_Stewart wrote:Sorry I have not been more supportive, I have been a little busy lately...
Thanks, Derek. No problem. Perhaps between soldering sessions, a wee grid or two of WQRDLI could be soothing..?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote: I guess I could widen the margins a bit, but that might lead to increasing
the height too for symmetry. But even the smallest 5x5 grid is close to the
256 y-limit of a QL screen.. By how many pixels would you propose?
<snip>
PS: Have you tried putting a weight on the mouse's "tail"? Find the
right length of tail and then lock it down with something heavy. That,
at least, stops my mouse from drifting..
The drift is only a few pixels, less than the width of a pointer I think but just about enough to make it annoying. If it was worse, I think I'd notice it more readily.

I've ordered a new cabled mouse to try. I've tried wedging the mouse cable under the external backup drive which happens to sit in the right place to try, didn't really work. I'll borrow a cordless mouse off my son to try at some point too.

With most programs, this slight mouse drift has no real bearing, it just happened to show up with this. Unless someone else says the same thing, ignore me!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I had a bad case of wandering mouse a while back. Sometimes it would skip for no reason. Turned out to be my mouse mat!

It had an image on it with various colours and lines. When the LED lit up some of those colours, it didn't register and the pointer on screen got lost. When the mouse moved over large sections of colour, the pointer skipped around all over the place.

I now use a relatively plain mouse mat, with no problems. Well, apart from the scroll wheel on the mouse now skipping because I suspect the switches are in need of better debouncing!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:I had a bad case of wandering mouse a while back. Sometimes it would skip for no reason. Turned out to be my mouse mat!

It had an image on it with various colours and lines. When the LED lit up some of those colours, it didn't register and the pointer on screen got lost. When the mouse moved over large sections of colour, the pointer skipped around all over the place.
I now use a relatively plain mouse mat, with no problems. Well, apart from the scroll wheel on the mouse now skipping because I suspect the switches are in need of better debouncing!
Cheers,
Norm.
I'll try another mouse mat, didn't think of that. The one I have atm is a plain black one with a gel hand wrest.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

My current one is dark orange with some black lines on, which seems to work ok.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Last week I added a bit more stuff to Knoware: A couple of toolkit commands
that I developed for projects Im working on, and a couple of Welsh
wordlists for WQRDLI, courtesy of Dilwyn :)

I held back in the hope that I could present a few more non-English
wordlists, but none arrived. It seems in future I can save myself the
trouble of trying to make my programs polyglottal!

Many (most?) of my toolkits are reasonably well tested over a number of
years of use and abuse. These latest ones, PROMPT and EDLINE%, however, are
relatively new in this format, and since they require user-interaction dont
easily lend themselves to automated testing. So in the unlikely :o event that
you encounter any bugs please dont shrug them off without a squeak: Let me
know! TIA.

Knoware/Changes

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Whoops-a-daisy! I forgot to include the main source file with the PROMPT command. Why does one/do I only notice these sorts of things AFTER posting? It should have been just as easy to notice before! Anyway, there it is: New PROMPT zip file; nothing else changed.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

pjw wrote: Why does one/do I only notice these sorts of things AFTER posting? It should have been just as easy to notice before!
Because Murphy. You always catch the one but last problem before sending, posting, or submitting code.

Regarding Word lists: If you have access to a Linux install, you can easily produce word lists in any supported language by tapping its in-built aspell dictionaries, like in

Code: Select all

aspell dump master de_DE |grep '^[a-z]\{5\}/'|cut -d / -f 1|sort>wordlist

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

tofro wrote:
pjw wrote: Why does one/do I only notice these sorts of things AFTER posting? It should have been just as easy to notice before!
Because Murphy.
Ah yes, Murphy. What right has he to make laws! No one elected him!
tofro wrote:You always catch the one but last problem before sending, posting, or submitting code.
I hope youre right there: Last but one, and not just the first of many!
tofro wrote:Regarding Word lists: If you have access to a Linux install, you can easily produce word lists in any supported language by tapping its in-built aspell dictionaries, like in

aspell dump master de_DE |grep '^[a-z]\{5\}/'|cut -d / -f 1|sort>wordlist
Very nice! I'll try it, and if Im happy with the result, I hope its ok to include your one-liner somewhere in my text? (Accredited, of course.) Ive forgotten whatever little grep I knew, so could you just modify that to exclude words with apostrophes and hyphens, please?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

pjw wrote:

aspell dump master de_DE |grep '^[a-z,A-Z]\{5\}/'|cut -d / -f 1|sort>wordlist
Very nice! I'll try it, and if Im happy with the result, I hope its ok to include your one-liner somewhere in my text? (Accredited, of course.) Ive forgotten whatever little grep I knew, so could you just modify that to exclude words with apostrophes and hyphens, please?
Of course it is. As it stands, it will only provide words that consist of the letters a-z and are 5 characters long (the "5" in brackets, change this to "6" if you want 6-letter-words.)

And please use the line in this one, the previous one only filtered out lower-case words. (Apparently, my grep-fu was weak this morning...)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO