SMSQ/E Source Reading

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

SMSQ/E Source Reading

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been reading the SMSQ/E source code files, which I find very good and specific 68000 assembley lanaguage reference matarial.

I have been reading the source in the order it is compiled. Is this the best way read the source code?

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: SMSQ/E Source Reading

Post by mk79 »

There are probably 230000 lines of code. I suggest reading what‘s interesting to you and leave the rest out ;)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I have been reading the SMSQ/E source code files, which I find very good and specific 68000 assembley lanaguage reference matarial.

I have been reading the source in the order it is compiled. Is this the best way read the source code?
Read it as you would an encyclopedia rather than a novel ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

mk79 wrote:There are probably 230000 lines of code. I suggest reading what‘s interesting to you and leave the rest out ;)
Strip out the microdrive code and that leaves 12 lines :P

Which reminds me... Is the equivalent of Speedscreen incorporated into SMSQ/E? I do recall that was one of my better purchases back in the day and did give noticeable gains.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I have been reading the SMSQ/E source code files, which I find very good and specific 68000 assembly language reference material.
I get the impression that I'm probably the only person in the world who finds Tony's code extremely hard to read! I suppose it must be me that's "at fault" then. :(

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Dave wrote:Strip out the microdrive code and that leaves 12 lines :P
Considering that there is no MDV driver in SMSQ/E I find this highly unlikely ;)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

NormanDunbar wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:I have been reading the SMSQ/E source code files, which I find very good and specific 68000 assembly language reference material.
I get the impression that I'm probably the only person in the world who finds Tony's code extremely hard to read! I suppose it must be me that's "at fault" then. :(

Cheers,
Norm.
No Norman,

You are not alone - I love loads of comments in my source, and currants in my muesli :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

mk79 wrote:
Dave wrote:Strip out the microdrive code and that leaves 12 lines :P
Considering that there is no MDV driver in SMSQ/E I find this highly unlikely ;)
I am sure I used Super Gold Card with SMSQ/E and the microdrives worked. I think this was about version 2.76.

Does anyone know the last version of SMSQ/E that used the Microdrives?

If the microdrive code is not in SMSQ/E v3.34 could the code be loaded as a module ?

Or would the fast memory access, not using slave blocks, cause problems.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I am sure I used Super Gold Card with SMSQ/E and the microdrives worked. I think this was about version 2.76.
Your memory might be playing tricks here, MDV drivers were never part of SMSQ/E. Trust me on this, I happen to know that code.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

NormanDunbar wrote:I get the impression that I'm probably the only person in the world who finds Tony's code extremely hard to read! I suppose it must be me that's "at fault" then. :(
Why? Assembler is inherently hard to read, especially when written by somebody else. TT had a very clean and mostly consistent style, with many comments. Not that every one of those 230000 lines is clear as water, but all in all I'm not sure what he could have done better.

Marcel