ArtIce and MiceArt (ICE)

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
dilwyn
Mr QL

ArtIce and MiceArt (ICE)

Post by dilwyn »

Damon Chaplin has kindly given permission for the ArtIce (v1.1) and MiceArt (v1.2) programs to be released as freeware now.

Formerly published by Eidersoft, these programs are intended for use with the ICE (Icon Controlled Environment) system. Artice v1.1 is for the original ICE system, while MiceArt v1.2 is for use with the mouse version of ICE.

Both versions come with PDF manuals.

I don't have a copy of ICE to ensure these actually work! If anyone is able to check them, we could do with a screen shot if possible to add to the QL Wiki.

Both Artice and MiceArt can be downloaded from the Graphics page on my website:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/graphics/index.html

Cristian
Aurora

Re: ArtIce and MiceArt (ICE)

Post by Cristian »

Only "Artice" partially runs without ICE. You can move the brush with cursor keys and paint, but it's impossible to access menu.
As far as I know, it's necessary to have an hardware ICE Eprom cartridge. And there are no software ICE versions (demos?) to try.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

If this is of interest and someone sends me one I'll clone it.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Since the Mice interface uses it own pointer system, it could be non-standard.

That said, I have a Mice system I converted to use an Atari mouse. Pictures on the forum:

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... tari#p4054

The reason for the convert was the MICE mouse stopped working, so I fitted a 9 pin D socket to connect an Atari Mouse. All worked, except the Atari Mouse has no middle button, so on the Mice System it had limited functionality.

How hard would a PTR_GEN file to integrate the Mice system into the Extended Environment.

Is the source code to Artice and Miceart available?

The is a PS/2 adapter board that fits into the Mice interface, I have a PCB, but never found the time to build it.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

How hard would a PTR_GEN file to integrate the Mice system into the Extended Environment.
QIMI and similar interfaces have counters built-in, and only time per time (interrupt) the current mouse position (or its delta) has to be read.

mICE is simple interface where it is necessary to read status of fotodiodes (position of apertures on axis wheels) repeatedly many times, so the mouse driver eats majority of processor time.

(Correct me if I am wrong.)

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

In any case you must have the ICE cartridge (is it still commercial?). Then you might decide to use ICE with cursor keys/joystick, or (better) add the mouse interface.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dex wrote:QIMI and similar interfaces have counters built-in, and only time per time (interrupt) the current mouse position (or its delta) has to be read.
QIMI is a bunch of logic gates with no counter or anything fancy really. It generates IRQs like mad because it does so for every single registered mouse movement.
mICE is simple interface where it is necessary to read status of fotodiodes (position of apertures on axis wheels) repeatedly many times, so the mouse driver eats majority of processor time.
That sounds pretty similar, actually. Minus the interrupts probably.