Q68 Software SD Card

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Q68 Software SD Card

Post by Derek_Stewart »

With regards to the comments in message:

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 377#p26374
It would be anyhow very cool to have several set ups available for download, one with QL/E another one with black phoenix, a basic one with Cue Shell and Psion x-change and a leisure oriented one with Games, 3D animations and more. All ready to go, download, SD card, run on Q68, go!

Both QL/E and Black Phoenix are available on download.

If I start to produce a Q68 image file, the I have maintain it, which duplicates the work of the original system ptoducers.

Since both systems use QWA containers, the systems can be downloaded and copied to a FAT32 partition on a suitable SD Card.

The SD Card supplied with new Q68 systems, has QL/E, Psion Xchange, Qpac2, Q-Dock, Prowess , some games, QDT, assemblers, editors etc...

So most of the applications is supplied on the Q68 SD Card.

Since Black Phoenix v1.5 has been released, with Q68 screen mode support, I have included Black Phoenix v1.5 on the SD Card.

The image file is 4Gb in size which includes SMSQ/E, 2Mb FAT partition, QL/E, Black Phoenix v1.5.

What I really meant was a SD Card with Games in FDI format files, that is used in addition to the Q68 boot SD Card.

I did look at the Adventure games, with a view to supplying an Adventure SD Card. But some of the games were so badly written, they would not run under SMSQ/E. I would have correct the games to run.

Saying all this I have written an Infocom Adaventure Game selector, which includes all QL compatiable Infocom style text games.

All this could made available for download in 512Mb QWA files or splied on SD Card.

I am not sure if the QL Hompage will support this type of download.

Supply of software on SD Card would be at the cost of the SD Card.

At present this is just ideas.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Re: Q68 Software SD Card

Post by Whopper »

Derek,

I was one of the numpties who were requesting such a download. Until I realised just how simple it was to fit what-so-ever I wanted onto the SD card, including a .WIN of my own!

So thank you for this post and I'll try to improve. :oops:

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The SD Card supplied with the Q68 is produced from a master SD Card image.

I could make this available for download, but I am not sure who would host a 4Gb file.
:roll:
As mentioned earlier, the Q68 SD Card has SMSQ/E, Black Phoenix, QL/E, ProWeS, QDT, QPAC2, Qliberator, Turbo Compiler, QPTR, TPTR, Assembley tools, Disassemley tools, Xchange, Psion Suite, Q-Dock, Launchpad... well most of the best free QL software.

On the FAT1 drive, there are documentation for QL/E, SMSQ/E Reference Manual, Q68 manuals.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

I could make this available for download, but I am not sure who would host a 4Gb file.
Mega!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Is it zipped? :D

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

XorA wrote:
Mega!
Glad you like it....

But seriously, I do have Mega Account, I will look into putting SD Card Images there,

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

vanpeebles wrote:Is it zipped? :D
An uncompressed SD Card image is: 3.9Gb

Zipped: 420Mb
tar.bz2: 386Mb

So I will use the Zip compression, as I think there maybe issues with people who only use Windows.

I will sort out the access to my Mega Account and post images over the weekend.

I can supply a formatted SD Card bootable into Q68 for £5.00 plus postage.

Regards,

Derek
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Derek,

I would love to have access to an online version of the Q68 image file. As I have said, I can build my own image, but would rather have one build by someone who knows what their doing. :oops:

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Derek_Stewart wrote:So I will use the Zip compression, as I think there maybe issues with people who only use Windows.
If I can stick my nose in here ...

People on Windows should (!) Be using 7-Zip for all their compression needs. Check out https://www.7-zip.org for details.

The last 5 or 6 contracts I've had used it. It covers lots of compression techniques, too many to list here but see the link above for the list.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Whopper wrote:Derek,

I would love to have access to an online version of the Q68 image file. As I have said, I can build my own image, but would rather have one build by someone who knows what their doing. :oops:
Whopper
Not doing it yourself will probably end you up in never really knowing your way around in SMSQ/E - I think we really recommend you try yourselves.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO