Sprite Generator Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Re: Sprite Generator Software

Post by Baron3D »

:D Very Good :D

Very good description.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Sprite Generator Software - Update (on the MAC)

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Another Update Guys
==================

Hi people, being in the fortunate position of having purchased both the MAC and Windows versions of QemuLator I can flip between the two. Indeed the Windows version does work with FSG, and as stated before I get the same error when trying FSG on the MAC version.

That is not the whole story though, although a bit convoluted I also run a program on the MAC called Play on MAC, which with certain limitations allows some Windows based programs to run on the Intel based MAC OS 10 systems. Having not used it for awhile I updated it to the latest version running on Mountain Lion, it also installs another set of driver/OS called XQuartz (a replacement for X something, I wont bore you with details). Suffice to say I have successfully installed the Windows version of QemuLator on a MAC and although inferior graphics by comparison to the real MAC version it appears to run OK and is alongside the QPCII (also Windows program)

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.10.51.png

I then downloaded the ZIP file of FSG from Dilwyn's site and attached the ZIP as is, to QemuLator drive slot, booted the QL run the program, ran the DEMO and as you can see by the screen shot below, it works. The sound also works on the Helicopter game although I haven't completely played that yet. Hopefully this will give some clue to Daniele as to where to look in the MAC version of QemuLator at some revision in the future. For now it seems it is possible to use the software on the MAC albeit through some devious means if you have the Windows version.

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.01.12.png
I hope this helps

PS tried the FSG program with QPCII running on a MAC - no joy, locks screen before displaying any sprites.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
fiskus
ROM Dongle

Post by fiskus »

Hi. I'm looking for a sprite generator package to run on an real QL with onboard 512K RAM board and vDrive. I have a copy of Digital Precision's SSG (which I recall as being pretty good) on microdrive cartridge from the late 80's which has long since become unreadable. I'm aware of FSG but would prefer a machine code based solution. Can anyone advise either how I might obtain a copy of DP's SSG (mdv image would be the holy grail) or something of a similar nature. Thanks.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Send me PM, with your email address, I have all DP software in FLP and MDV image formats.

Regards,

Derek
fiskus
ROM Dongle

Post by fiskus »

Thanks Derek. PM sent.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

fiskus wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:49 pm Thanks Derek. PM sent.
Hi fiskus.
If you manage to use SSG with more than 15 sprites, please let me know!
I tried to, but encountered some issues.
For more details please see topic https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=36525#p36525

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:53 pm
Hi fiskus.
For more details please see topic https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=36525#p36525
According to the SSG v4 documentation, the there a limit of 16 sprites on the screen at once.

If this is a limitatation, then, the SSG woukd have to altered. I did dissassemble SSG with DISA, but understanding the dissassemble is another matter.

Regards,

Derek
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:17 pm According to the SSG v4 documentation, the there a limit of 16 sprites on the screen at once.

If this is a limitatation, then, the SSG woukd have to altered. I did dissassemble SSG with DISA, but understanding the dissassemble is another matter.
I could only use 15 sprites on screen at once, not 16.
Also documentation says that there is a limit of 256 sprites in total - 16 on-screen + 240 off-screen that can be swaped with the on-screen.
I found that only the first swap works, but not the subsequent swaps.
I documented all issues in the topic linked above, with code examples to show the issues.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Maybe the Sprite Designer is not worth the effort, maybe sorites using the Pointer Interface would be more flexible, but harder to use.

Regards,

Derek
fiskus
ROM Dongle

Post by fiskus »

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:53 pm
Hi fiskus.
Hi Andrew,
Sorry, I haven't tried that so am unable to comment. The main reason is that I have been unable to get the sprite design program to run and having looked at the other thread you referred to from a few years ago, I notice that you say it won't run under Minerva and needs JS. Do you know if there's any way around this other than to swap my ROMs back?
Thanks.