Sprite Generator Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Re: Sprite Generator Software

Post by Baron3D »

A litte off topic..
I remember I showed my sprite engine for pulic in Münster, don't know the year.
People was amazed. :)
I meet you mr Dilwyn and David and I think I demonstrated a home made soundcard for you.
My English was worser than bad. It's better now but there is more to learn.

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Hi Frank,
Sounds very interesting. Where can we download your sprite generator? I'm keen to try it ....

:-)

Cheers,
T

Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Post by Baron3D »

Sorry to say it, I don't know.

Somewere in Quantas archive ?
If I remember right, my programs was gatherd together with the Swidish QL group's program and sended to Quanta.

Mr dilwyn may have it ?

I have backups on 8" disks but no working system. Yes, 8 inch discs, 77 tracks at eatch side. Converted to work with QL.

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

So the question is, who has it?

Any info very welcome ....

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

thorsinclair wrote:So the question is, who has it?

Any info very welcome ....
Way back in the days of Dilwyn Jones Computing Frank sent me a copy of his sprite generator. I think it was when he and a few members of the Swedish QL Gruppen came to a Quanta meeting in Newcastle.

At the time I didn't release it as I wanted Frank to try to make it compatible with modern QL systems (it only works on QL screens, nothing bigger). But IIRC in those days (before email was widely used) Frank lived in a part of Sweden where snail mail access was difficult in winter and communication took some time. Sadly, DJC closed before it got released.

I don't have the original disks Frank sent me, unfortunately, but I have found a copy on a set of old backup discs from that era. I have no idea if this is the most recent version - it seems to have editors etc so may well be. I am going to try to attach it to this message (if I can remember how to send an attachment to the Forum!) as a zip file for people to try out.

If Frank is happy for me to do so, I can add it to the games page on my website. However, I'd be grateful if someone could first try this file out to make sure it's working and complete.

Dilwyn Jones

Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Post by Baron3D »

Awesome :D
Thank you very much.

Dilwyn :"add it to the games page on my website"
I'm very happy with that.

On a normal QL The Heli game is a little slow, it's just intended to be an example game. One can compile it with qLiberator if one wants fast action.
I used 64k of fast extra ram, so my QL vas 50% faster, so Heli vas quite ok than.

What I can see, there are some files missing. (I don't blame anyone)I think they are missing because aste.sgs and grott.sgs exists. Files that are missing are not part of the spritegenerator. They are just games that use the spritegenerator. Games worth playing.
The game aste: aste.bas and maybe aste.boot
The game grott:grott.bas, grott.tkns and maybe grott.boot
It could be so that the .sgs files are just resources.

There may be a boot problem with older ROMs. I used JS ROM.

If somebody could run the programs screenshots are welcome.

Frank Linder

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

If it's been on the QL Dilwyn probably has it somewhere :ugeek:

I remember when I did my school work experience around 1994/1995 experience, there were a few council depots in Durham that still used 8 inch discs!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Baron3D wrote:Awesome :D
Thank you very much.
Dilwyn :"add it to the games page on my website"
I'm very happy with that.
On a normal QL The Heli game is a little slow, it's just intended to be an example game. One can compile it with qLiberator if one wants fast action.
I used 64k of fast extra ram, so my QL vas 50% faster, so Heli vas quite ok than.
What I can see, there are some files missing. (I don't blame anyone)I think they are missing because aste.sgs and grott.sgs exists. Files that are missing are not part of the spritegenerator. They are just games that use the spritegenerator. Games worth playing.
The game aste: aste.bas and maybe aste.boot
The game grott:grott.bas, grott.tkns and maybe grott.boot
It could be so that the .sgs files are just resources.
There may be a boot problem with older ROMs. I used JS ROM.
If somebody could run the programs screenshots are welcome.
Frank Linder
Thank you Frank. I searched further back in the backup disks and found the files attached which seem to have the correct filenames, based on what you wrote. I'm not sure why they are separate, maybe at the time these were a demo disk perhaps? Or maybe they were just on two DSDD disks at the time?

Please can you check to see if these are the missing files? Then perhaps we can make it into one package for release.

Dilwyn Jones

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:If it's been on the QL Dilwyn probably has it somewhere :ugeek:

I remember when I did my school work experience around 1994/1995 experience, there were a few council depots in Durham that still used 8 inch discs!
That might have been true a few years ago, sadly a lot of my old QL stuff was sold and given away some years ago, and some went missing when I moved house. However, my attic is still a bit of a treasure trove, as those backup disks proved. I wonder what else might be in there - at one stage I must have copied my old backups from floppy disc to cd and luckily the cds are still readable! Must wade back through them when I get time over Christmas (free time? what's that!) :ugeek:

Actusally, I can just imagine vanpeebles in his element happily ploughing through some old 8 inch discs!!! Either that or he'd take the discs out and use them as spare wheels for his C5 :twisted:

Dilwyn

Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Post by Baron3D »

Yes, the missing files.
Make it into one package will be fine.
:D :D :D

Combat (comb) is a two player helicopter game. Me and my friend played that for many ours.
comb.cde is a merge of comb.sgs, comb.tkns and FSG_v011.CDE. (just for knowledge)

Warning! Aste is a addictive game. I played it for to many ours. Fight the aliens among asteroids.

Grott("Cave" in English) or THE MOUNTAIN vas very funny to make. I used all my inventiveness skills. It is an adventure game.