Text adventure in Spanish ported from ZX Spectrum

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

Text adventure in Spanish ported from ZX Spectrum

Post by programandala.net »

I've finished a port from ZX Spectrum, a text adventure in Spanish: Asalto y castigo (Assault and punishment).

The original author is an experienced writer of interactive fiction in Spanish (one of his text adventures, Survive, was written first in English and then translated).

The original program I've ported was written by the author for ZX Spectrum as an experiment, a challenge to prove that a good story, a good atmosphere and good texts are more important than the power of the programming language and the machine. I think he succeeded. Besides, this adventure is a "prequel" of another work of him, El trono de Inglaterra (The throne of England).

The original was written in compiled Sinclair BASIC. The author wrote also versions for Locomotive BASIC (Amstrad CPC) and Blassic (a classic BASIC interpreter for Windows and Linux).

I rewrote the code in SuperBASIC and it has been tested with Q-emuLator and QPC2. My goal was just to translate the code and of course improve the way it works internally, but not to change the game or the plot. Nevertheless I did two little improvements in the way two puzzles can be solved.

The game was announced in the Spanish text adventures forum, where the QL is almost unknown, and some people tried it with emulators.

The code itself (variables, procs...) is in English and it's clear, and the comments are bilingual, so it wouldn't be difficult to write an English version. But the original texts are very good, almost literary, and such a translation is unfeasible with my English.

Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)