Okoloko Engineering Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Okoloko Engineering Software

Post by RWAP »

One of the rarest bits of software advertised in about 1987, was some software written by Okoloko Engineering Software of Glendale Drive, Ypsilanti, Michigan USA, designed for use by Engineering FIrms, Mechanical & Civil/Structural Engineers, and Engineering Students.

They advertised three titles:
FRAME
TRUSS
GRID

The company was run by Samson Okoloko.

I have a letter from them to Sinclair QL World dated 28th May 1987, plus a printed manual for each program, although alas, not the microdrive cartridge referred to containing all 3 programs.

Any ideas on tracking this down?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Okoloko Engineering Software

Post by RWAP »

I found someone who supposedly used to run this - and sent them a letter, but unfortunately, they have not responded - what a shame!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have found a little more documentation on this - there were actually 4 programs published by Okoloko Engineering Software (Samson Okoloko).

The manuals are sizeable spiral bound A4 but unfortunately, there is no sign of the software. Reading through the documentation, 3 of the 4 programs were supplied to Sinclair QL World for review on the one microdrive cartridge.

Some of the programs were also published for the ZX Spectrum, although they too are MIA. The QL programs were all written in SuperBASIC; although the documentation talks of an interactive version (then only available for the FRAME program) which was written in machine code. Interactive versions of TRUSS and GRID were planned by the end of June 1987.
  • FRAME (supplied with 53 page manual): QL Version - $120 (with graphics); Spectrum Version $75
Analyses plane frames, composite structures (eg trussed beams or king posts). Continuous beams with or without internal hinges, multiatory buidling frames, structures with yielding supports and structures with partially fixed supports. The QL version includes a graphics display of the actual structures.
  • TRUSS (supplied with 40 page manual): QL Version - $110 (with graphics); Spectrum Version $70
Analysis statically determinate and indeterminate trusses of any shape. Also covers the effects of temperature, misfits or misfabrication and yielding supports. The QL version includes a graphics display of the actual structures.
  • GRID (supplied with 41 page manual): QL Version - $90 (no graphics); Spectrum Version $70
Analyses grid systems such as bridge decks and grillages of any shape. The ouput includes members forces (bending, shears and torsional movement) and member deformations. It was planned to include graphics for the QL version by the middle of June 1987.
  • SPREAD FOOTING: Spectrum Version only - $80
Written using the A.C.I. Code
  • RETAINING WALL: QL Version only- $120
  • SPACE RIGID FRAME - QL Version - planned to be released July 1987

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

I read a lot of the US QL and T/S publications in the 1990's and even I did not hear about this software at the time. IIRC, Emsoft sold their software. Since they were from Michigan, Don Impelizzeri (who is/was in Detroit) might have heard about them. Don might still be around.

Tim

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I wrote to Samson some years ago - Dave has also now reached out to him by telephone.

EMSoft was run by Peter Hale I believe - Don Walterman and John Impellizzeri worked together on QBOX USA as far as I can find.

What happened to all of the US QL software?