TDI Software pSystem - Fortran & Pascal

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

TDI Software pSystem - Fortran & Pascal

Post by RWAP »

I have now managed to acquire a suite of the TDI programs - there are some large manuals on UCSD Pascal, USCD Fortran, Applications Development Reference and a QL introductory booklet, along with the following microdrive cartridges:

From the TDI USCD Pascal
PASCAL P-System PASCAL (Pascal Compiler, Filer and Editor)
PASCAL P-System PBOOT (Pascal Bootstrap)
PASCAL P-System ASM (Assembler, Linker, Utilities) ** THIS IS CORRUPT **

From the Advanced Development Toolkit
P-System ADTK1 (Development Utilities)
P-System ADTK2 (Interface Units, Turtlegraphics)

From the TDI UCSD Fortran-77
FORTRAN P-System ASM (Assembler, Linker, Utilities)
FORTRAN P-System FMISC (Fortran Configuration Options) ** THIS IS CORRUPT **

Not sure what package this belongs to...
P-System SOURCES (Driver Sources)

This does at least go a long way to preserving this rare range of compilers - although the manuals are in the form of books, which would be a real pain to scan in.

I have not had chance to try any of this out - it does not help that most of the files are contained within a single container (pSystem) on each cartridge - however, I would guess that the Fortran ASM might well be the same as the PASCAL version - who knows...

Does anyone have any more information / copies of any of this?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: TDI Software pSystem - Fortran & Pascal

Post by RWAP »

OK, looking through the QL Owners Handbook for this, I can see I am missing some microdrive cartridges:

From the UCSD Pascal:
- PMISC

From the UCSD Fortran
- FBOOT

The P-System SOURCES (Driver Sources) cartridge is part of the Advanced Development Toolkit... :D

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Rich,

as UCSD Pascal used to be conceptually the same thing as Java is today (an implementation of a programming system on a virtualized machine with platform-independent binaries and file system) it should theoretically be possible to re-construct the missing material from the platform-independent sources (as long as the QL virtual machine is intact and of the right version).

There is a lot of information around on UCSD-Pascal (the sources are free today) that could be used by someone interested to rebuild everything.

One place to start could be http://pascal.hansotten.com/index.php?page=more-files

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

tofro wrote:UCSD Pascal used to be conceptually the same thing as Java is today (an implementation of a programming system on a virtualized machine with platform-independent binaries and file system)
According to my present knowledges, the p-code should be the 8080 machine code.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

dex wrote: According to my present knowledges, the p-code should be the 8080 machine code.
Dex,
actually it isn't - It's a stack-based machine without any significant registers (except PC, stack and some stack frame pointer registers). Very Close to Forth in some aspects.

This one http://ucsd-psystem-fs.sourceforge.net/
might probably be of interest - It allows mounting a p-System disk Image on Linux. Would be interesting to know if that works with the TDI Image files......

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I managed to salvage most of these microdrive cartridges, but I am sill missing some physical cartridges:
PASCAL ASM (I assume this is probably the same as the Fortran version)
PASCAL PMISC

As for reading the programs - I am still missing quite a lot as the cartridges were mainly unreadable.