QLCOMMANDER - testers and help needed

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
mk79
Trump Card

Re: QLCOMMANDER - testers and help needed

Postby mk79 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am

dilwyn wrote:Don't expect a Windows or QPC2 operation to remove these headers!
After much (years) of deliberation (within my head) QPC2 will support these headers in a future version. I'm not very fond of them, but every solution has its drawbacks here. Of course I will only add them on files that need them, i.e. mainly executables, and they are even removed once the header changes back to normal.

Cheers, Marcel

Andrew
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm

dilwyn wrote:I hope I'm not misunderstanding this - there seems to be a glaring error or misunderstanding here.

Of course you will end up with unuable files - QemuLator is responsible for addign/removing the header bytes, not QPC2.

QemuLator is a pain in the **** with these headers, it costs me so much time with submissions to my site that people seem unable to understand what is going on.

On any media which does not understand QL executable file headers, QemuLator adds its own header preamble. Normally, if copying to QDOS media using QemuLator, the files are "un-QemuLatored" invisibly. However, if files are copied directly from a native QemuLator folder using Windows or rimilar, these headers don't get removed.

Simple answer - use QemuLator to copy to a QDOS medium such as ramdisk before putting them in a QXL.WIN - that way QemuLator removes the headers by itself.

Don't expect a Windows or QPC2 operation to remove these headers!

Or am I missing something very obvious here???

You are perfectly right. But it took me a while to figure it out and reach the same simple solution :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Postby dilwyn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:07 pm

mk79 wrote:
dilwyn wrote:Don't expect a Windows or QPC2 operation to remove these headers!
After much (years) of deliberation (within my head) QPC2 will support these headers in a future version. I'm not very fond of them, but every solution has its drawbacks here. Of course I will only add them on files that need them, i.e. mainly executables, and they are even removed once the header changes back to normal.

Cheers, Marcel

Thank you Marcel.

Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk

Return to “Software & Programming”