Quanta committee election.

Thinking of joining QUANTA? Post any questions here.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Quanta committee election.

Post by Dave »

I'd like to forward myself for an at large/non-specific committee position. It is too easy to sit back and comment or criticize. For me, the time has come to get involved.

However, not having personal access to any other members, I seek volunteers to propose and second my candidacy.

If anyone would be interested in supporting my candidacy, please let me know.

Paul
Gold Card

Re: Quanta committee election.

Post by Paul »

I shurely would if I could.
Beeing a QL newbie, I don't even know what quanta might be.
At least I don't find QL related things in the net. It has to with Linux and KDE?
Kind regards
Paul

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Dave wrote:I'd like to forward myself for an at large/non-specific committee position. It is too easy to sit back and comment or criticize. For me, the time has come to get involved.

However, not having personal access to any other members, I seek volunteers to propose and second my candidacy.

If anyone would be interested in supporting my candidacy, please let me know.
As a recent joiner for Quanta, I don't feel that I should put myself forwards for a year or two, but I am happy to submit a nomination or second one. However, I would like to know what you feel you can offer the Quanta committee, and what you would seek to do if elected? I commend you for preparing to stand for the committee, but would like a little more information before submitting or seconding a nomination.

However, good for you!

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

As a past member of Quanta in the 80's, and long time follower, I don't have reservations about it being "too soon"... I have read and participated in discussions about Quanta's direction for many years.

My goal, if elected, would be to work towards a more active Quanta. I would tend to vote towards investment in growing the QL active community, while also trying to raise the status of the QL in the general retro computing arena.

I would work to increase access to Quanta resources for members across the EU and Worldwide. I'd like to see copies of the library available in every major language, with someone local who can be contacted in a person's native tongue. The recent influence from the EU has done a great deal to revive the QL scene recently.

I would tend to vote for funding projects that could bring about new hardware, firmware and software for member and non-members. This would, obviously, need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis as supporting projects that provide no utility, or which duplicate work in already well-developed areas may not be the best way to proceed. I would, as is proper, not vote on any project I was directly involved in.

I would also work to be an ambassador for the QL: to be as accessible to the community as possible. My role model would be Dilwyn.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have. I'm also open to suggestions.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote:I shurely would if I could.
Beeing a QL newbie, I don't even know what quanta might be.
At least I don't find QL related things in the net. It has to with Linux and KDE?
Kind regards
Paul

Have a look at www.quanta.org.uk

Quanta is the original Sinclair QL users group (IQLUG I think it was originally).

They publish a magazine a few times a year and have helped finance a few different projects over the years, as well as providing a helpline, a user library and running workshops (now sadly just once a year).

Hmm - what have they funded / done in the past that I can remember....
- Super Gold Card production after Miracle stopped doing them
- QL Keyboard Membranes production
- Q40/Q60 (I think)
- Acquired the Talent Assembler Workbench for its members (and made changes to it)
- Acquired the GST Macro Assembler for its members (and made changes to it)
- Arranged for a reprint of Jan Jones SuperBASIC The Definitive Handbook

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Rich,

Quanta did not fund the Q40 or the Q60 development.

The Q40 and Q60 were already developed prior to the D&D Systems launch of a cased Q60 solution.

The Q40 had major problems, mainly by the bad construction methods of Qbranch, but that is in the past.

What the funding was given to buy parts to build the exisiting Q60 board into a PC Midi Tower Case and supply a current software package of commerical software.

I thought it wold be good for Quanta to be involved in the production of a one stop solution for new fast QL, in retrospect, maybe I should funded this myself, as there seems to be alot of confusion over the Quanta funding arrangements.

It is a pity there was so much negativity towards the Q60 venture, as all Q60 boards, cased machines were sold and never failed.

The whole idea, was I got a 68060 based QL but all were sold...

Sorry about all the moaning, still feel bad about the venture.

Regards,

Derek
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Is it possible to make some more?

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Dave wrote:As a past member of Quanta in the 80's, and long time follower, I don't have reservations about it being "too soon"... I have read and participated in discussions about Quanta's direction for many years.

My goal, if elected, would be to work towards a more active Quanta. I would tend to vote towards investment in growing the QL active community, while also trying to raise the status of the QL in the general retro computing arena.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have. I'm also open to suggestions.
Well, in that case, I am happy to write and nominate you. If someone is prepared to second my nomination of Dave, could they PM me? I will fill out the nomination form as soon as someone steps forward. If you can be as engaged, involved and committed as Dilwyn, you definitely get my vote!

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

I would be happy to second the nomination of Dave :D

You may have to kick me, as I will need to do it remotely and will need reminding.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Thank you, both. :)

I'll find out if e-signatures are allowed.