Monitor mode compatible overscan

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Monitor mode compatible overscan

Post by dilwyn »

jimre wrote:Hi All!

Finally I have found an equivalent of the upscaler sold on eBay (unfortunately only in U.K.) and tested by Dylwin:
http://dilwyn2.wordpress.com/2014/02/16 ... -displays/

That is generally available in many EU countries, as it is sold by Conrad under order no. 989271:
"SpeaKa Professional SCART and HDMI/HDMI converter"
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/989 ... no-Adapter

I bought it today afternoon. It works well with my QL (RGB-SCART cable) and Samsung LCD TV/Monitor (HDMI). I can feed the VGA input of my monitor using a HP HDMI->VGA converter connected to it's output.

I have put some pictures of the different screen modes here:
http://gigant.chem.elte.hu/ZXSpectrum/Q ... converter/

The best modes were the 720p and 1080p when using the RGB input. The 800x600 mode was blurred, the 1024x768 was a little bit better and so on... I got the worst picture quality using the AV composite input from the SCART cable. (This unit uses the standard SCART BLANKING signal for composite<->RGB selection.) Of course the HDMI->VGA conversion decreased the picture quality and the picture was blurred as for the 800x600 mode.
Thank you jimre - some people did mention to me it was hard to get the original unit in some countries, so I am very grateful to you for letting us know about this.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I wonder if we should start a thread to see who wants one and have a cut off date, after which a bulk order could be made - possibly at a discount?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I wonder if we should start a thread to see who wants one and have a cut off date, after which a bulk order could be made - possibly at a discount?
Seems like a great idea, this seems to be a 'de facto' method of connecting a QL to a flat screen HDMI TV which many members have had success with. Go for it - put your names down for one and encourage Rich to look into this.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

RWAP wrote:I wonder if we should start a thread to see who wants one and have a cut off date, after which a bulk order could be made - possibly at a discount?
Has this died a death :?:

I have obtained one HDMI converter, but have found that it also works brilliantly with a Beeb :D 8-).

So if there was a bulk order that brings the unit cost down, I would add my name to the list as I would buy at least one more, maybe two (for use in place of a failed auto-SCART switch box on the main TV).

For both the QL and the Beeb (BBC model B), I used SCART leads from retrocomputershack. However, when I tried my ZX Spectrum +2B and +3, I got a double image (like a very sharp single ghost image overlaid on the first sharp image). I think this may be a problem with how the SCART lead feeds some of the control signals to the converter box, but I have not investigated further.
I have not yet tried any other computers.

You can see screen shots for both the QL and Beeb here.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Looks great, what sort of quantities would attract a discount, maybe it is something I can help with.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Put me down for one.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Strange, I was just thinking about this, what are the details of the SCART connection?

I will maybe buy one, did you get one from Amazon

1024MAK wrote:
Has this died a death :?:

I have obtained one HDMI converter, but have found that it also works brilliantly with a Beeb :D 8-).

So if there was a bulk order that brings the unit cost down, I would add my name to the list as I would buy at least one more, maybe two (for use in place of a failed auto-SCART switch box on the main TV).

For both the QL and the Beeb (BBC model B), I used SCART leads from retrocomputershack. However, when I tried my ZX Spectrum +2B and +3, I got a double image (like a very sharp single ghost image overlaid on the first sharp image). I think this may be a problem with how the SCART lead feeds some of the control signals to the converter box, but I have not investigated further.
I have not yet tried any other computers.

You can see screen shots for both the QL and Beeb here.

Mark

Regards,

Derek