New Q68 Case

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

New Q68 Case:

1. Same case with better anodising to end plates
7%
2. New larger case with 15mm height increase
67%
3. 3D Printed case, to be designed in the future
27%
4. Something else...
No votes

Total votes: 15

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: New Q68 Case

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Here is a very rough re-organisation fo the location of the Q68 PCB in the Case to an upper location, with room for a expansion board below.
Q68 PCB in upper position front panel
Q68 PCB in upper position front panel
Q68_Front_Exp_PC1.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Q68 PCB in upper position rear panel
Q68 PCB in upper position rear panel
Q68_Back_Exp_PC1.png (6.19 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
The Power Input could be moved to to the back?

Regards,

Derek
TitoxUnix
ROM Dongle

Post by TitoxUnix »

Voted for the new larger case. I like this last design, but I prefer power and audio socket in the rear plate as my other computers/fpgas. Easier to have it connected always.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

My 1d's worth: VGA and SER cables are pretty hefty. I prefer such cables to be at the bottom of the case. And like TitoxUnix, above, I prefer the power cable at the rear, though not necessarily audio. Unfortunately it wont be possible to please everyone, so in the end its up to you..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

Thanks for the input, I am trying to accommodate a hardware developer, who says there is a expansion for the Q68, that just needs a driver written.

I did think sbout the Audio and Power connections at the back, but would that mean more space at the front.

Maybe a LCD Display or something else ...

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:My 1d's worth: VGA and SER cables are pretty hefty. I prefer such cables to be at the bottom of the case. And like TitoxUnix, above, I prefer the power cable at the rear, though not necessarily audio. Unfortunately it wont be possible to please everyone, so in the end its up to you..
I'd agree with this. "Permanent" connections such as power are usually best at the back, out of the way.
As Per says, you probably can't please everybody!
Looking forward to becoming a Q68 owner one day when they have been made.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

With regards to connections like Power Input could placed at the back, but the Audio Out, which connects to a amplified speakers or headphones, would this not be better at the front.

Until I see the sort of expansion, I can not judge which is the best option.

I will need this information, soon, otherwise there could a delay in the planned production date

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

In the above proposed back panel. Don't you run the risk of the I2C and Network connectors fouling the Extension board. Unless you intend the the I2C and Network connectors to be mounted on any extension boards.

And how would you intend to get the I2C signals to the underside of the board. Is there room to get a wire around from the top to the bottom. Any I2C connector mounted underneath the Q68 is also libel to foul any expansion board.

Depending on what case sizes are available, Would it be better to extend upwards a bit more, so that any expansion board could sit above all the Q68 connectors with access to both the front and back panels.

How about a small sub board that plugs into the Q68 expansion connector, with the Network sockets on it. And with a through connector for any expansion boards to go above it.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martin,

I am just trying accommodate the suppose Disk Drive expansion card. Since I have had no information about this, I will put this to one side.

I personally would keep the current configuation with a large case, the QL Net and I2C on top, on the Rear End Plates.

In the current case the QL Net connectors are on the side wall counter bored onto the case wall , quite a bit of work.

Which is why I want to use the End Plates.

I did a small expansion board with the QL Net circuitry on the board, which sounds like your stub circuit idea.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Here is a another example with the Power Switch, Power Input, Audio Output at the rear and a extra LED on the front to show the power is on.
Q68 Front Panel
Q68 Front Panel
Q68_Front_Panel_02-07-22.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Extra LED for Power On, so Programmable LED can be used elswhere, like the QL NET indicator.
Q68 Rear Panel
Q68 Rear Panel
Q68_Back_Panel_02-07-22.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Power Switch and Power Input, Audio Output added to rear.

Please not this is all ideas.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

To me, it looks fantastic! :) But wouldnt this layout require rearranging the motherboard?

I wonder what the big blank space at the front could be used for. An elegant looking sticker, perhaps?

It looks like it wants a 3.5" slimline FDD, but I guess thats probably redundant these days - even if it were technically feasible.

Apropos nothing, are there small, lightweight laptop cases that could be fitted out with alternative innards - like a Q68?

Just a bit of blue sky fantasizing on my part..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?