New Q68 Case

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

New Q68 Case:

1. Same case with better anodising to end plates
7%
2. New larger case with 15mm height increase
67%
3. 3D Printed case, to be designed in the future
27%
4. Something else...
No votes

Total votes: 15

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: New Q68 Case

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The fixed parts where the connectors are soldered to the Q68 PCB are:

Rear: Power Input and Switch,VGA,SER,NET,PS/2
Q68 End Panel
Q68 End Panel
Q68_Back_Panel_02-07-22.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Front: Programmable LED, SD CARD 1 LED, SD CARD Slot 1, SD CARD 2 LED, SD CARD Slot 2
Q68 Front Panel
Q68 Front Panel
Q68_Front_Panel_02-07-22.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
The Aubio out and Power Input is actually connectors soldered to the PCB, but they can be moved to the back by using a wire link.

I could fit the Q68 into a Laptop case, with an adapter to convert VGA to LCD.

Or fit the Q68 to the inside of PS/2 keyboard.

The big space at the front vould be used for something else, a floppy drive would be okay, but I am lacking an interface or details of the interface so that I can make changes to the case design.

*** Updated, forgot the diagrams

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

looking at the resumts of the vote it seems that most voters like the larger case.

The UK company who can supply the cases both original and large size, can supply fully andodised end plates with the same custom holes and laser enscrived letterring. which solves the problem with the previous Q68 case end plates.

These were supplied by a Germany company with offices in Ireland ( Tax Avoidance?) who cut theebd plates from large anoodised sheet plate, leaving the machined end edges and internal holes, untreated.

The company refused my request to treat the exposed end edges leaving no othe choice attempt painting the bare metal, which clearly fid not work.

I can probably supply replacement fully andodised replacement end plates.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

It is a matter of taste, but I prefer to keep the audio output at the front. It is a connection that I often plug or unplug. Having it at the back would be a change for the worse in my usage. (It is for a good reason that most PC cases offer audio at the front also.)

Note: We are not in a situation where locations can be freely decided. Bringing audio to the back with unchanged PCB means extra costs and extra manual work.

Also: It makes much sense to keep the power button at the front. I don't even think that one is a matter of taste. Who would seriously prefer it at the back?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the input, I am just exploring possible options that have been offerred as a solution to the case design.

I would like to keep the original case size, but there is no room for the QL Netork Connectors on the Back Panel.

I have produced a solution, where the 2 x QL Network connectors are located on the side of the case. This requires 2 x 6mm holes drilled in the case wall, with 8mm counter bored holes to suit the Connector securing nuts.

Inside the case some of the metal case wall is required to be removed to accomodate the QL Network connectors.

These operations are fairly straight forward, for one or two cases, but 20 plus requires more alot more time and effort

The alternative is to use a case of the same profile, with a increased height of 15mm. So that the extra QL Network and maybe I2C connectors can be be located on the back panel.

I will have get a prototype made to see if it looks OK

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Here is another option for the current case:
Q68 Combi-Case
Q68 Combi-Case
This is he same dimension as the previous case, except it is split into 2 halfves, allowing the top half to be removed allowing the Q68 board to accessed fitted n the lower half.

The advantages of this design are: Easy installation and access to the Q68 board, without removal of the Q68 PCB from case, uses same end panel design.

The only disadvantage is the plan design of the case.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Looks good.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I am in the final stage of case design. The new case and panels have been designed and ready to be fabricated.

I am looking to have the I2C and QL Net connectors on the Rear Panel.

I was going to fit 2 QL NET 3.5mm connectors, there does not seem enough space for 2 QL NET connectors, but 1 QL NET Connector could be fitted.

Is 1 QL NET Connector a limitation on connection to a QL Network?

An alternative would be to have a extension cable with the 2 QL NET Connectors outside the Q68 with a connection on the Resr Panel to the Q68 QL NET connections.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:22 pm Is 1 QL NET Connector a limitation on connection to a QL Network?
It limits the Q68 to be a network endpoint.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I will make a standard 2 QL NET connector cable that will connect to the Q68 Rear Panel, this is mainly due lack of space on the Rear Panel.

Just a pity, the QL Ethernet never appeared, as we could of had a 10Mb QL NETwork.

Regards,

Derek
ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:23 pm Just a pity, the QL Ethernet never appeared, as we could of had a 10Mb QL NETwork.
Having received a couple of messages expressing interest in my (now very) old prototype project I spent some time and converted it to a PCB rev 1 a couple of months ago:
There's going to be at least one more revision coming up once we understand what we need from the SW side.

Currently has a DNS resolver, DHCP client, and TFTP client. And socket-level C code that can be linked in to other SW. Driver for SuperBasic needs a bit of an overhaul but there are persistent rumours of it being a joint effort and not just me any more. Tim and Dilwyn's SuperBasic IRC client works already. And just for lulz I wrote a very limited SuperBasic FTP client. Full support for IPBasic extensions are a distant goal.

Runs on BBQL and SGC, Havent't figured out if there's a way to make it work with a GC. Last time I asked on the forum the consensus seemed to be that there is no way to make an extension card work with a GC. I would very much like to understand if the expansion ROM slot address space could be grabbed from GC's grubby hands but I don't have a GC so there's no way for me to experiment with this. Essentially I would just need 2k of memory mapped IO but GC is greedy.

I've hand-soldered a few boards and sent them to contributors. I have no intention of selling this but it's going to be open source so group orders would be totally feasible should someone be interested.

Cheers,
Petri