Upgrading Q40 to 68060 CPU

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RalfR
Aurora

Re: Upgrading Q40 to 68060 CPU

Post by RalfR »

Peter wrote:It's all too long ago and I have no personal interest in Qliberator, but I'm 95% sure there is (also) an issue with copyback cache.
The default cache setting of SMSQ/E was reduced to writethrough just for Qliberated software, which of course cripples the Q60.
Selfmodifying code?
As far as Liberation Software has stated, all programs and extensions of the suite are ROMable.

4E75 7000
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

It does not depend on the suite itself, but the code it generates. I don't know the actual reason why faling back to writethrough was required, but selfmodifying code seems a natural explanation (due to the separate instruction and data caches of the 68060).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

20 years ago, it looked to me that there no one wanting to update Qliberator to produce compiled object code that would run on a Q60 with the Cache on.

This may of a bit of paranoia, due the organisef negative compaign by Qbranch and QL Today.

But lets not dwell on the bad old days of the QL, Qliberator has been decompiled and the resultant source vode has been debugged to remove some bugs.

Could an option be added to the NEW Qliberator to allow compiled code to be generated do that the compiled code will run with the Q60 Cache on.

Regards,

Derek
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I have a lookat my Q60 spares, the only CPUs I gave are: M68LC060RC66, XC68RC060RC50A

The MC68LC060RC75 which was overclocked to 80Mhz, which I only sold 2 Q60 boards with the 80Mhz CPU. The CPU was very expensive 20 years ago, I do not serm to able to find anything to plug into the Q60 board.
As much as I don't want to reprogram PLDs for 60/66 the 75 are indeed scarce (used) or very expensive (new). I got a new MC68EC060RC50 today (before they disappear), not intended for Q40 (of course) but perhaps something for future. Though did start having odd thoughts whether I could somehow halve clock to Q40 PGA socket and run 50 at 40MHz in the meantime :?.

Thanks, I give it a while longer looking for 75 and perhaps might yet be No.3 Qx0 @ 80MHz owner ?

David
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Silvester wrote:As much as I don't want to reprogram PLDs for 60/66 the 75 are indeed scarce (used) or very expensive (new). I got a new MC68EC060RC50 today (before they disappear), not intended for Q40 (of course) but perhaps something for future. Though did start having odd thoughts whether I could somehow halve clock to Q40 PGA socket and run 50 at 40MHz in the meantime :?.
Running the machine at 40 MHz would give you wrong frame interrupt rate and potential DRAM refresh issues. To access the clock line, you'd probably have to desolder the oscillator anyway. So why not change the oscillator to 60 MHz and get a decent machine? I still have a working setup to program those PLDs, maybe also Derek. Usually it is easy to get them on eBay, so you might even keep your originals.
Silvester wrote:Thanks, I give it a while longer looking for 75 and perhaps might yet be No.3 Qx0 @ 80MHz owner ?
I guess there are more than three already. Anyway you would be welcome to the club. :D

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Peter wrote:Running the machine at 40 MHz would give you wrong frame interrupt rate and potential DRAM refresh issues.
I was just thinking if 68040 internally halves clock whilst working to external logic running at 80MHz, then maybe just halving clock input to 68060 CLK pin might be possible. My assumption being '40 and '60 external bus cycles would be same :?

David
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Peter wrote:So why not change the oscillator to 60 MHz and get a decent machine? I still have a working setup to program those PLDs, maybe also Derek. Usually it is easy to get them on eBay, so you might even keep your originals.
Yes, I think it might be a good idea to just get a couple of PLDs programmed for 66MHz (which I know I can get CPU presently). What is situation regarding code, I can probably get Lattice programmer, unless you wish to restrict PLD code.

David
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Silvester wrote:Yes, I think it might be a good idea to just get a couple of PLDs programmed for 66MHz (which I know I can get CPU presently).
I meant 60 MHz for the 50 MHz CPU which you have already ordered.
But 60/66 MHZ are the same logik, can be jumpered.
If you can program the PLDs yourself, even better.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

So after much web searching the last few days it seems if you haven't already got ispLEVER* installed (and can fool free license on an existing installation by rewinding system time) your'e stuck. That is unless you are now prepared to pay for $600 license, the free 12 month license ended around 2020 :(

Clearest unequivocal info I found is https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-helps-me/26477/5 search for 'Dear customer'

Also https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/502933 (translated https://www-mikrocontroller-net.transla ... _tr_pto=sc)

(* software used to program ispLSI1016 PLDs on Q40/Q60)

David
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Silvester wrote:(* software used to program ispLSI1016 PLDs on Q40/Q60)
Firstly, the license cost issue affects "ispLever Classic", not "ispLever", which I continue to use for free.
Secondly, neither "ispLever" nor "ispLever Classic" are needed or even used for the Qx0 PLDs.

I developed the Qx0 logic with pDS Starter (nowadays requiring a VM or so for Windows 95).
Just programming the PLDs works with any Lattice programming software that is old enough, I use a version around 2010. Maybe a little newer also still works. Those were and are always free of charge.