Some questions on the modern QL add ons

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Some questions on the modern QL add ons

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi,

I've decided to get my QL from its lair in the attic and treat it to some modern treats. First off I've ordered a SGC clone from tetroid, and have a couple of questions on other items which hopefully somebody can help out with:

1) I think that the SGC clone does something with the power so that it draws less than the original and runs cooler - if this is correct, I assume that a modern QL power supply is not needed and the original is fine?

2) I believe that SMSQ/E will run on a SGC (and clones) - is this correct and what steps do I need to take to install/run it? I could not find a manual on the SMSQ/E site but may have missed it.

3) does anyone know whether the ZX Retro vDriveQL can be housed in the reproduction ZX Microdrive enclosure/housing? Although the vDriveQL housing is more in keeping with the QL, I've always loved the look of the ZX Microdrives. I'm thinking of perhaps getting one at some stage.

4) is the format of the SD card in a vDriveQL interchangeable with that in the Q68? Would be ideal for swapping between my two Q* machines

5) what's the best way to clean the drive heads for floppy drives? Do I need one of those cleaning diskettes or is some Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud sufficient?

Thanks! :)

PS - I realise that I've put this in the hardware forum but ended up asking a mix of question - apologies and admins feel free to move this post if you feel it's in the wrong home.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Andrew
Aurora

Re: Some questions on the modern QL add ons

Post by Andrew »

1. Yes, SGC clone draws less power. But you can easily change the power on the original SGC and on the QL ( https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... -%29-28469 )
2. Yes, but only in 512x256 resolution and QL colors. The steps are simple: LRESPR win1_goldcard_bin (there is a topic created by me where I asked about installing SMSQE and forum members explained it)
I can send you my setup (win.qxl)
3. Yes - I have my vDriveQL installed in an original ZX microdrive case (keep in mind that microdrives and vDrive DO NOT WORK in SMSQE)
4. I don't know - I do not have a Q68 yet. I presume that the answer is yes.
5. cleaning disk is easier to use, as you don't have to disassemble the floppy - but in old times I was still putting a few drops of isopropyl on older cleaning disks
Last edited by Andrew on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Hi,

4) is the format of the SD card in a vDriveQL interchangeable with that in the Q68? Would be ideal for swapping between my two Q* machines
Both contraptions use SD cards that are formatted with FAT32. They do, however, use different QDOS container files to implement QDOS file systems inside those containers (Q68 uses QXL.WIN continers, vDriveQL microdrive Images) - So, if you question is "can Q68 read QDOS files from a VDrive image on an SD card?", the answer is, at least for now "No" (because it cannot read and write FAT32 directly - but see below). You can, however, use a PC to transfer vDrive images in and out of QXL containers and even read and write them with the microdrive image drivers on the Q68.

Both Q68 and vDrive QL can also work with FAT16 partitions (not as the "main boot partition" on the Q68). Not owning a working vDrive atm, I don't, however, know if it's possible to have a vDrive work with partitioned SD cards (If this would work, you could create a FAT32 partition to hold the Q68 container, and a FAT16 partition that would hold mdv images for the vDrive - I doubt, however, that this would work)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thank you both for your answers. Very helpful :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

tofro wrote: Both Q68 and vDrive QL can also work with FAT16 partitions (not as the "main boot partition" on the Q68). Not owning a working vDrive atm, I don't, however, know if it's possible to have a vDrive work with partitioned SD cards (If this would work, you could create a FAT32 partition to hold the Q68 container, and a FAT16 partition that would hold mdv images for the vDrive - I doubt, however, that this would work)
So for the Q68, you basically have set of WIN images and I believe they have to be in a certain order. But on my Q68, that SD card also contains a text file (Files.txt) and a folder (.Trash-1000) so I believe you can have other files/foders on there. With vDrive, it basically just wants the index file (VDRIVEQL.CFG) which is a text file that tells it where to find the MDV imgaes and which one is the default (I actually forgo all of the vDrive QL commands and just edit the CFG file by hand). It looks something like this:

Code: Select all

[SETUP]
Bank2

[Bank2]
MISC\MDV1.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV4.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV5.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV6.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV7.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV8.MDV      ;

[Bank3]
GAMES\Assault.MDV  ;
GAMES\Cavern.mdv   ;
GAMES\MCosmic.MDV  ;
GAMES\MCrunch.MDV  ;
GAMES\Metropol.MDV ;
GAMES\MTreasur.MDV ;

[Bank4]
GAMES\Qbert.MDV    ;
GAMES\QLGames.mdv  ;
GAMES\Speed.MDV    ;
GAMES\Spook.MDV    ;
GAMES\3DOXO.MDV    ;
GAMES\ATTACK.MDV   ;

[Bank5]
GAMES\BUGSBOMB.MDV ;
GAMES\CHESS.MDV    ;
GAMES\FROGGY.MDV   ;
GAMES\GUNNER.MDV   ;
GAMES\PACMAN.MDV   ;
GAMES\PALADIN.MDV  ;

[Bank6]
GAMES\PUDGE.MDV    ;
GAMES\QBALL.MDV    ;
GAMES\Qbert2.MDV   ;
GAMES\QGAMES.MDV   ;
GAMES\SPACEINV.MDV ;
GAMES\SPACEPOD.MDV ;

[Bank7]
GAMES\SPACERAI.MDV ;
GAMES\STARBURS.MDV ;
GAMES\STARPORT.MDV ;
GAMES\WIPEOUT.MDV  ;
GAMES\ZAPMAN.MDV   ;
GAMES\LITTLSAM.MDV ;
I don't think there should be no issue of mixing and matching Q68 and vDrive stuff on the same partition, as long as you take care to have the Q68 WIN files in the right order. I don't remember if the WIN files also need to be the first ones copied to the SD card. Am I wrong here? I should give it a try but don't have my Q68 handy at the moment.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks, good info on vDrive. :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

What definitely is possible is using the same card on both the Q68 and the vDrive (just make sure the Q68 image files are the first ones you put on the card). That's useful inasmuch you don't need to buy a second card (considering the cost of SD cards nowadays, this is maybe not that useful).

What would be really useful is have the Q68 and vDrive access the same files on that card (simply swap a vDrive card into the second slot on the Q68 and exchange vdrive images between vdrive and Q68). That is, in my opinion, not possible for a "bootable" Q68 card (because that needs to be FAT32 in order to be able to boot from it, and vDrive doesn't seem to support multi-partition SD cards, Q68 can't read files directly from a FAT32 card).

What should be possible is to format a card FAT16, use that in the second slot of the Q68, and put vDrive images on that FAT16 partition. Q68 can read and write those files, and vDrive should be able to do the same. You should even be able to work inside the vDrive images from the Q68 using the mdv image driver. But you would need a separate card in Q68 slot 1 to hold the "main" win1 image.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks to you too tofro.

Some great info guys, very much appreciated.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The problem withe the Q68 trying to access vDriveQL MDV images, is that the Q68 does not have a MDV device, so to solve that problem, I inclluded Martin Head's wonderful MDI package on the SD Card of all new Q68s.

But the MDI format does not support the vDriveQL MDV image format, you will have convert the vDriveQL images with the MDI command CONVERT2_MDI to convert the vDriveQL image to MDI image useable on the Q68.

The images files should be on a FAT16 formatted SDCARD, which is accessed by the Q68 FAT device.

You can not access any MDV images on the FAT32 patition, as this is only used for QWA, BDI files.

I would like this limitation removed, but I do not write the operating system.

The reason for the Souper Gold Card running SMSQ/E not able to use the VvDrive, is that there is no MDV device in SMSQ/E Gold, unless this has changed in recent versions of SMSQ/E.

Maybe a MDV device could added to the Super Gold Card to usd the vDrive.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

tofro wrote:What definitely is possible is using the same card on both the Q68 and the vDrive (just make sure the Q68 image files are the first ones you put on the card). That's useful inasmuch you don't need to buy a second card (considering the cost of SD cards nowadays, this is maybe not that useful).

What would be really useful is have the Q68 and vDrive access the same files on that card (simply swap a vDrive card into the second slot on the Q68 and exchange vdrive images between vdrive and Q68). That is, in my opinion, not possible for a "bootable" Q68 card (because that needs to be FAT32 in order to be able to boot from it, and vDrive doesn't seem to support multi-partition SD cards, Q68 can't read files directly from a FAT32 card).

What should be possible is to format a card FAT16, use that in the second slot of the Q68, and put vDrive images on that FAT16 partition. Q68 can read and write those files, and vDrive should be able to do the same. You should even be able to work inside the vDrive images from the Q68 using the mdv image driver. But you would need a separate card in Q68 slot 1 to hold the "main" win1 image.
Ah, thank you for the clarification, very helpful.