"Mini" QL Printer

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

"Mini" QL Printer

Post by mselkin »

Hi guys,

I picked up a small thermal printer that uses a serial interface - it works great with the QL. It has been fun to see it keep a record of moves with Psion chess.
Attachments
IMG_3496.jpg

Cristian
Aurora

Re: "Mini" QL Printer

Post by Cristian »

Very nice! Would you like to tell us something more about your printer, or share some other pictures?

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

I found it on eBay, it's an HP brand, I think it's supposed to be used in conjunction with a cash register. I have included a close-up picture.
Attachments
65345082383__33878620-8069-4C24-ACEE-9011042BB623.jpg

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Is thermal paper for it expensive?

Back in the days of the good old Ser8056 thermal printer used by early QLers, the printer was fairly cheap but the paper very expensive.

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Amazon sells 50 rolls of paper for this printer for around 35 Canadian dollars.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

dilwyn wrote:Is thermal paper for it expensive?

Back in the days of the good old Ser8056 thermal printer used by early QLers, the printer was fairly cheap but the paper very expensive.
I still have my 8056 and it still gets used for a quick printout on BBQL occasionally. Still works as good as the day it came with my first QL (£199 deal), lots of other printers I've had have come and gone. Printer paper is just fax paper, which I got 6 rolls of cheap. The only problem is that paper fades in a few months - especially if in sunlight.

David
mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

I should add, it was fun to "setup", in that you set the baud rate and other serial settings using the single paper feed button. It prints a menu on the paper and you chose menu options by the number of keypresses of the single button. So, it uses a lot of paper when you first set it up.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Looks perfect for it!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Silvester wrote:

I still have my 8056 and it still gets used for a quick printout on BBQL occasionally. Still works as good as the day it came with my first QL (£199 deal), lots of other printers I've had have come and gone. Printer paper is just fax paper, which I got 6 rolls of cheap. The only problem is that paper fades in a few months - especially if in sunlight.
Forgot it used fax paper rolls. Long time since I last needed fax paper, didn't know if it was scarce and expensive by now.

Yes, it fades, but generally it's for immediate or short term use really.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

dilwyn wrote:
Silvester wrote:

Forgot it used fax paper rolls. Long time since I last needed fax paper, didn't know if it was scarce and expensive by now.

Yes, it fades, but generally it's for immediate or short term use really.
I use my Brother EP-22 as a printer for the QL. It's one of those old-school electrnoic typewriters made in the early 80's...my first "laptop" I used in college to write papers (it was my roomates until I found one myself on eBay a decade or two later). It takes either heat-transfer (fax) paper or cartridges that heat transfer the ink onto real paper. That latter is a bit costlier and scarce so I tend to just buy a roll of the fax paper and it wasn't that bad getting one new on eBay.