Video: Sinclair QL Upgrades (PSU and vDrive mostly)

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Re: Video: Sinclair QL Upgrades (PSU and vDrive mostly)

Post by stephen_usher »

NormanDunbar wrote:More volume then. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Norm.
Yeah, you need this as it's reasonably quiet even with this. When inside the case and the speaker's glued to it the case acts as a sound box and it's about the same volume as the original microdrive, which isn't loud.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

llopis wrote:Oh wow, that's great. I'll have to check it out. What kind of speaker are you using for something like this?
I just used a generic, small, 8 ohm paper cone one from RS Components. I tried one of those plastic membrane "cone" speakers and it was too tinny.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

stephen_usher wrote:
llopis wrote:Oh wow, that's great. I'll have to check it out. What kind of speaker are you using for something like this?
I just used a generic, small, 8 ohm paper cone one from RS Components. I tried one of those plastic membrane "cone" speakers and it was too tinny.
You can see one of the speakers I used here: https://youtu.be/VhUG1TIi_j8?t=21

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

stephen_usher wrote:Yeah, you need this as it's reasonably quiet even with this. When inside the case and the speaker's glued to it the case acts as a sound box and it's about the same volume as the original microdrive, which isn't loud.
Thanks Stephen. That might explain why it was so quiet, no sound box.

I wonder if it's possible to bung a couple of transistors in as a small amplifier? I'm assuming there would need to be one on each of the speaker pins.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, if you can fit an amp into the size requirement then I don't see why not.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

:D I don't have a QL to fit a vDrive to, do this was just a fun exercise to see what noise it made.

Cheers,
Norm.

llopis
ROM Dongle

Post by llopis »

And here's the second part of the video on QL upgrades: https://youtu.be/UOJ5EtRN3kM

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Most enjoyable video. Thanks.

I'm not sure I agree with the opinion that there was no software on floppy disc for the QL though, there was lots! Most of the QL software suppliers used floppies as well as microdrives.

Also, with a Gold Card (or better) the QL supported DD (720KB) HD (1.4 MB) and ED (3.2 MB) floppies -- something I believe the IBM PC never managed -- but most disc interfaces supported DD and HD floppies.

Cheers,
Norm.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

NormanDunbar wrote:Most enjoyable video. Thanks.

I'm not sure I agree with the opinion that there was no software on floppy disc for the QL though, there was lots! Most of the QL software suppliers used floppies as well as microdrives.
There certainly was a fair amount, I have over 50 original QL retail floppy disks, but it is true that nowadays there are a lot more qzips and .mdv images than there are floppy .img files out there for the QL. That must be what Noel is getting at.

Actually, were there ever any retail QL programs sold on 5.25" disks? Anyone aware of anything? I have wondered off and on about that.
NormanDunbar wrote:Also, with a Gold Card (or better) the QL supported DD (720KB) HD (1.4 MB) and ED (3.2 MB) floppies -- something I believe the IBM PC never managed -- but most disc interfaces supported DD and HD floppies.
I've got a 486 with support for ED 3.2mb drives listed in the BIOS! So it was something that perhaps some PCs did support at least for a limited time.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Chr$ wrote: Actually, were there ever any retail QL programs sold on 5.25" disks? Anyone aware of anything? I have wondered off and on about that.
Yes, in the 1980s at least.
My first floppy disk drive was a 5.25 inch unit (switchable 40/80 track unit IIRC), which got shared between a QL and a BBC Micro.
Eidersoft was one example who supplied software on 5.25". QJump was another.
Digital Precision supplied a few programs on 5.25inch for me, although I'm not sure if that was routine or just a favour to me as I was a regular customer and knew him back then.